Gibson P90's?

Verne Andru

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Flintc View Post
Gibson also has what they call "tapped" P90s. I'm not sure how these work, but the "tapped" sound is smaller and thinner, and perhaps is supposed to emulate the "tired" magnets of vintage instruments?
They have two leads coming of the windings. One at full strength, one at less than full strength. It has more to do with emulating an OLD low output P90. The originals came with A2 magnets and were lower output.
Gibson switched to A5 in the early 50s sometime.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Flintc View Post
Gibson also has what they call "tapped" P90s. I'm not sure how these work, but the "tapped" sound is smaller and thinner, and perhaps is supposed to emulate the "tired" magnets of vintage instruments?
They have two leads coming of the windings. One at full strength, one at less than full strength. It has more to do with emulating an OLD low output P90. The originals came with A2 magnets and were lower output.
Gibson switched to A5 in the early 50s sometime.

• Members

You don't need to waste $5 for that. Any P90 is easy as {censored} to flip. I've done it on ceramic, alnico, etc. You don't even have to desolder it from the guitar.

This is what you do:

1. Take the strings off, remove the bridge pickup.
2. Take the cover off and remove the insides to the point that you can reach the magnets.
3. Flip the two magnets at the bottom 180 degrees.
4. Take the two coil leads, remove them from the existing pickup leads, solder them to the other pickup leads.
5. Done.

This should take you 15 minutes at most. It's very recommended.

Notice how much quieter it is.

• Members

You don't need to waste $5 for that. Any P90 is easy as {censored} to flip. I've done it on ceramic, alnico, etc. You don't even have to desolder it from the guitar.

This is what you do:

1. Take the strings off, remove the bridge pickup.
2. Take the cover off and remove the insides to the point that you can reach the magnets.
3. Flip the two magnets at the bottom 180 degrees.
4. Take the two coil leads, remove them from the existing pickup leads, solder them to the other pickup leads.
5. Done.

This should take you 15 minutes at most. It's very recommended.

Notice how much quieter it is.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru

View Post

Thanks all. The hum-cancelling isn't a big deal, but it is curious Gibson isn't doing it. There's a guy in my town with a machine that flips magnet polarity [for a whopping $5] as long as they are alnico. Doesn't work on ceramics or neos.

It must be a tradition thing. I have an Epi and a PRS SE that both cancel and it's pretty useful. Personally I don't hear much of a difference tonewise between them and the Gibson Special I just got... I do have a cheap SX with P90's and one thing that is very noticeable is that if you roll off the volume on it, it doesn't clean up. You just get a lower volume overdrive.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru

View Post

Thanks all. The hum-cancelling isn't a big deal, but it is curious Gibson isn't doing it. There's a guy in my town with a machine that flips magnet polarity [for a whopping $5] as long as they are alnico. Doesn't work on ceramics or neos.

It must be a tradition thing. I have an Epi and a PRS SE that both cancel and it's pretty useful. Personally I don't hear much of a difference tonewise between them and the Gibson Special I just got... I do have a cheap SX with P90's and one thing that is very noticeable is that if you roll off the volume on it, it doesn't clean up. You just get a lower volume overdrive.

Archived