Rocksmith, now on PC

Grantus

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thecornman

View Post

My point was it is not a difficult process once you have put a bit of time in it! If you just want to play guitar and don't care what you are hearing why bother tuning it?

There's a segment of HCEG composed of super-busy guys with many commitments. They've got no time for the tuning / the practicing / etc., and they just want to ROCK and ROCK NOW. Many of them have thousands and thousands of posts, so somehow they find time for the keyboard and the forum. Go figure.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by cheezit66

View Post

Many of them have thousands and thousands of posts, so somehow they find time for the keyboard and the forum. Go figure.

Sitting at your desk typing on the forums looks pretty much like work to the casual observer; sitting at your desk practicing guitar ain't fooling anyone.

• Members

View Post

Many of them have thousands and thousands of posts, so somehow they find time for the keyboard and the forum. Go figure.

Sitting at your desk typing on the forums looks pretty much like work to the casual observer; sitting at your desk practicing guitar ain't fooling anyone.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thecornman

View Post

Again I was not trying to cut people down! I know some have a natural ear and some don't. I didn't, but with time and actually using it that changed. Anybody that can hear can do it.

You use your ears to listen to music! Does it not make sense to use them to play music.

I never said you were cutting anyone one down. But I seriously doubt I can effectively learn by ear. As Cheesit66 says I'm one of those busy guys. I wasn't able to do it when I wasn't so busy and not going to have the time now. Even after years of playing I can barely tell the difference between a major and minor chord. I know guys that can tell you if a chord is a Am7 by listening to the some and I couldn't tell you that it was even a m7 let alone an A. I trouble with timing too (the number of times my instructor has said "that's played on the upbeat" and I've given him a WTF look is uncountable. Bottomline is one approach cannot work for everyone. If the approach works why bash it.

I did look at the software a bit (what isn't block) and it seems interesting though I'll have to do more research.

I do get my forum time by posting at work biggrin.gif where I don't have access to a guitar. When I go home I don't go on the forums when I have free time I go play. By the time I warmup/practice/play some stuff I want and some original stuff I'm working on...its time for bed

• Members

View Post

There's a segment of HCEG composed of super-busy guys with many commitments. They've got no time for the tuning / the practicing / etc., and they just want to ROCK and ROCK NOW. Many of them have thousands and thousands of posts, so somehow they find time for the keyboard and the forum. Go figure.

Or, perhaps, some of us like to embrace new technology that helps us more efficiently practice guitar. Some of us aren't stuck in the dark ages.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Grantus

View Post

Or, perhaps, some of us like to embrace new technology that helps us more efficiently practice guitar. Some of us aren't stuck in the dark ages.

Sorry dude, but I stuck it out with getting my ears in shape and today am able to pick up (many) songs by ear. It's not the "dark ages" method, it's the one that actually helps you develop a skill. Do what you want, but don't put us down for doing it right.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff

View Post

Sorry dude, but I stuck it out with getting my ears in shape and today am able to pick up (many) songs by ear. It's not the "dark ages" method, it's the one that actually helps you develop a skill. Do what you want, but don't put us down for doing it right.

I'm not putting you down. The "dark ages" comment was directed at the poster who seemed to be making fun of new technology.

If learning songs from MP3s turns your crank, go for it. Learning by ear is a good skill to have.

But if we're just talking about learning to play, I'm not sure it's "doing it right," compared to learning songs from tab, or Rocksmith, or a live guitar teacher, or TrueFire or some other modern method.

• Members

Dark ages! I don't think there are to many modern players that don't use their ears to play music. Kind of like most of them are using guitars and equipment from the dark ages as well. Whatever can help someone is great. For others those tools serve no purpose. I don't use or have any need for tab either but that doesn't mean It shouldn't help someone else.

• Members

View Post

I'm not putting you down. The "dark ages" comment was directed at the poster who seemed to be making fun of new technology.

If learning songs from MP3s turns your crank, go for it. Learning by ear is a good skill to have.

But if we're just talking about learning to play, I'm not sure it's "doing it right," compared to learning songs from tab, or Rocksmith, or a live guitar teacher, or TrueFire or some other modern method.

A guitar teacher with with a solid reputation and some experience is the easy way to do it right. Learning from books and self-teaching is the hard way to do it right. Every other way is teeming with 'wrong' elements. I'm trying to not be a hater on here anymore, but things like Rocksmith do potential musicians a disservice by presenting themselves as a legitimate way to learn the guitar.

• Members

View Post

A guitar teacher with with a solid reputation and some experience is the easy way to do it right.

From around age 14 to age 18 I burned up $30 a week on lessons. The guy was a Berklee grad with a great reputation. He never explained basic concepts like keys and he only taught me two positions of the pentatonic scale, one he called major (first position) and one he called minor (second position, but only on the 3 high strings). I never got much from him other than confusion and he was the best guitar teacher in town. I could have spent that money on a USA Strat and Doug Marks

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jpnyc

View Post

From around age 14 to age 18 I burned up $30 a week on lessons. The guy was a Berklee grad with a great reputation. He never explained basic concepts like keys and he only taught me two positions of the pentatonic scale, one he called major (first position) and one he called minor (second position, but only on the 3 high strings). I never got much from him other than confusion and he was the best guitar teacher in town. I could have spent that money on a USA Strat and Doug Marks

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by arrowhen

View Post

No {censored}. "I'm working hard, boss!! Gotta stay late (posting, hee hee!)"

My attitude is: when I'm at work, I work. I leave at a reasonable time and have time for the rest of my life, including playing guitar (without latching onto shortcuts, gimmicks and excuses).

Meanwhile the dope down the hall stays till 9pm, talks and talks about how hard they work, and their work product is crap.

• Members

My friend owns the game and I think it's pretty fun despite its flaws. I've learned how to pick up songs by ear for the most part, but I'm not often motivated to sit down and just learn a whole song. Turning practice into a game makes it a lot easier to learn things, but I would still call Rocksmith a game first and a practice aid second.

Another fringe benefit would be that the game introduces you to genres and playing styles you might not usually pay attention to and forces you to give it a go, which should be beneficial for any guitarist.

I'd like to see what other sort of games like this come out that blur the line between entertainment and actual skill-building. It can only get more interesting from here.

As for the whole "correct way to practice" thing, I personally think that nobody should limit themselves to any single learning technique. Learning to play by ear is a valuable skill but it takes time and everyone learns at their own pace. If using a game to practice helps you enjoy playing guitar, go for it.

• Members

Never tried the game thingy, but another alternative that's great for quickly seeing how a rif, section or entire song is done (as posted by the author, you can of course use your ears to decide if they are accurate enough for your liking)is songster.com ...

• Members

View Post

I can pickup songs by ear, and have been able to do so for many years. Rocksmith is still a fun way to practice, and I like it. Your argument that your way is somehow right is absurd and invalid.

• Members

View Post

A guitar teacher with with a solid reputation and some experience is the easy way to do it right. Learning from books and self-teaching is the hard way to do it right. Every other way is teeming with 'wrong' elements. I'm trying to not be a hater on here anymore, but things like Rocksmith do potential musicians a disservice by presenting themselves as a legitimate way to learn the guitar.

You teach guitar, don't you?

• Members

View Post

I've picked up more on Rocksmith than I did in several years of book learnin' and several months of lessons.

So anything involving a computer that teaches you how to play the guitar is illegitimate? I guess that rules out MP3s as well.

Grumpy old man needs to go back to learning by ear on vinyl.

• Members

View Post

I've picked up more on Rocksmith than I did in several years of book learnin' and several months of lessons.

So anything involving a computer that teaches you how to play the guitar is illegitimate? I guess that rules out MP3s as well.

Grumpy old man needs to go back to learning by ear on vinyl.

Whatever works for you. But saying that you've found a shortcut that's better than the 'old way' is BS. It might be better for you right now, but it's not better for everyone all the time.

Here's why: it's not as hard. Difficulty requires effort, effort triggers concentration, concentration and repetition triggers deep learning. If you are not working hard, and feeling like you are working hard, then you are not gaining as much as you think you are. That's true in guitar playing as it is in picking up any other skill or area of knowledge.

The exception I make (for myself) is when I get 'stuck' and hard work is leading to no gains. At that point a change of scene or a toy or something superficial and fun can break a block. But it's not the same as knuckling down.

• Members

View Post

Whatever works for you. But saying that you've found a shortcut that's better than the 'old way' is BS. It might be better for you right now, but it's not better for everyone all the time.

Here's why: it's not as hard. Difficulty requires effort, effort triggers concentration, concentration and repetition triggers deep learning. If you are not working hard, and feeling like you are working hard, then you are not gaining as much as you think you are. That's true in guitar playing as it is in picking up any other skill or area of knowledge.

The exception I make (for myself) is when I get 'stuck' and hard work is leading to no gains. At that point a change of scene or a toy or something superficial and fun can break a block. But it's not the same as knuckling down.

I don't think I've said that Rocksmith is better than other methods for "everyone all the time." For me, it's been very helpful to get me to play along with songs and stick to a practice regime.

In some ways, its been better for me than other methods I've tried. It's a legitimate way to practice guitar, contrary to what some other posters have claimed.

I disagree with your contention that playing guitar should be hard work. If there are tools that make guitar a little bit easier, why not use them? At this point in my life, I want guitar playing to be fun, not work.

• Members

Well that bites.

I just bought Rocksmith for our Xbox, arrived last night.

Was counting on it being the guaranteed-successful shortcut to fame and fortune, not to mention guitar heroics. I've been checking out private islands for sale while waiting for it to arrive.

Now you're telling me that it won't work?!

I have little money and less time. If this {censored} doesn't work, I give up.

<...return to sender...>

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Machete

View Post

My friend owns the game and I think it's pretty fun despite its flaws. I've learned how to pick up songs by ear for the most part, but I'm not often motivated to sit down and just learn a whole song. Turning practice into a game makes it a lot easier to learn things, but I would still call Rocksmith a game first and a practice aid second.

Another fringe benefit would be that the game introduces you to genres and playing styles you might not usually pay attention to and forces you to give it a go, which should be beneficial for any guitarist.

I'd like to see what other sort of games like this come out that blur the line between entertainment and actual skill-building. It can only get more interesting from here.

I agree,

I've usually slacked off on learning the whole song, like solo and bridge and outro and between verses. This game pushed me a bit harder to do so.

And it did actually push me to play styles I have never worked hard on before, and introduced me to some new music.

Having any software that can detect what you play is the first step, next I think they need something a little more geared towards players that shows statistics on your playing and what you did wrong. Would be good for vocals too, sometimes I know some note is off pitch but can't isolate it.

Archived