I modified my Gibson Midtown Standard

PunkKitty

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty

View Post

Better move fast. Gibson discontinued them. I have another cherry sunburst model that I can sell you. It's NIB. I only pulled it out to verify that the setup was good and that everything worked. It's on ebay now but I'll gladly kill the auction if someone here is interested.

Do you know why they discontinued it so soon? Bad seller?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty

View Post

Kinmans are a nice thought. But why should I spend $300 on pickups when I have a set of minis at home? All I had to do was order the rings from GFS.

Also, in several installs routing is required due to the size of the Kinmans. I'm considering a set for my 60s Tribute Les Paul, but not sure I wanna mess with routing.

• Members

^^^ That was the case with the stacked Duncan P90s in my 50's Tribute LP as well as the Midtown. I briefly had a set of Joe Barden soapbars installed. Those were nice and no modifications were needed. But I decided to go with the minis. Another pickup that worked in the LP was the Bill Lawrence L-550. Those are difficult to find though. I currently have them installed in the LP.

If you are interested in a slightly used set of Barden soapbars, PM me. I plan to sell them.

• Members

^^^ That was the case with the stacked Duncan P90s in my 50's Tribute LP as well as the Midtown. I briefly had a set of Joe Barden soapbars installed. Those were nice and no modifications were needed. But I decided to go with the minis. Another pickup that worked in the LP was the Bill Lawrence L-550. Those are difficult to find though. I currently have them installed in the LP.

If you are interested in a slightly used set of Barden soapbars, PM me. I plan to sell them.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty View Post
I installed mini humbuckers. The bridge pickup was wound by Ken at Rose Pickups. It's a hot alnico 2. The neck pickup was wound by Bryan at BG Pups. It's alnico 5. They sound awesome together. Installation was a breeze using GFS rings. I like those rings. There is no need to use tubing between the top of the ring and the humbucker itself.

DSCF6245.jpg
Awesome !

Archived