This week on Overhauling...

kit_strong

• Members

About 3 years ago I bought my lovely PHD Astrophysicist wife a Luna Sol Acquarius when it popped up for a steal on Amazon.

Stock it looked like this

LunaSol1.jpg

It was a light, well playing guitar stock but the generic pickups weren't really all that exciting.

So fast forward to a few months ago and I decided to try out some Roze Mozart pickups along with new pots and wiring.

The old knobs wouldn't fit on the new full-sized pots so for months it's looked like this.

LunaSol5.jpg

Also the satin nickel hardware didn't really jibe with the chrome pickup rings.

Fast forward to this morning when these shiny new bits showed up in the mail

LunaSolAquarius1.jpg

Hipshot GLO locking tuners, GFS XTrem Vibrato Bridge, Wilkinson roller bridge, and GFS Tele style knobs.

resulting in this

LunaSolAquarius8.jpg

and this

LunaSolAquarius6.jpg

LunaSolAquarius5.jpg

Initial impressions of the XTrem are positive. It was an easy install and so far seems to operate smoothly. I think my Bigsby has a bit more range but at about 1/4 the price the XTrem looks like a great alternative for the budget-conscious.

-Kit

• Members

open faced covers are da bomb...I jammed a couple of Seymour duncans into them and love the look, plus you can bang the hell out of strums without dinging the pickup bobbins or wrap. The only downside , is I think they take the tiniest bit of presence away, which of course you can add back at the amp or other modifications

• Members

open faced covers are da bomb...I jammed a couple of Seymour duncans into them and love the look, plus you can bang the hell out of strums without dinging the pickup bobbins or wrap. The only downside , is I think they take the tiniest bit of presence away, which of course you can add back at the amp or other modifications

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspotter

View Post

Your wife is an astrophysicist who plays guitar? Some guys have all the luck.

Nice guitar, too!

My thoughts as well. Though I think I threw a "You bastard!" in there for good measure. wink.gif

So Kit, how do the Rose Mozarts measure up tone-wise? I've been quite interested in his new-ish line of P90 pickups.

Archived