Stratosonic?

Paraclete

• Members

Went to a GC today, with 3 goals-1) see if they had one of the new Peavey 8's to check out,2) To try out a few strats ,3) try something with P-90s.

Right off the bat, no Peavey ValveKing 8. (of course)

Killed my strat gas-tried 8 different ones-U.S.,MIM,etc none of them did anything for me no matter what amp I tried them through..not a one of them had that classic, 3-single strat sound that I recall from back when, and none of them played all that well...

So, I checked out some P-90 equipped guitars. 2 SG's with P-90s, 1 LP special (all actual Gibsons-no Epis (bleeechk), and 2 PRS SE soapbars.

The gibbys..eh, been there/done that, nothing interesting there,and none sounded much more than bland- "plink,twang,twink,puke". The PRS looked and played very nice,but the pups just sounded incredibly weak and thin. Are you guys keeping the stock pups in those? Or swapping them out with something that actually has some magnets in it somewhere?

But then, I found this beat-up,used Stratosonic in there. 1 P-90, 1 vol, 1 tone,fixed bridge and this horrid tobacco-type finish and an even more horrid pickguard that was thick as hell-looking..:freak: BUT, I tried it anyway and WHAM. Gots me a new gas. PLayed great,great-feeling neck, and the tone just from that simple,single P-90 was the {censored}. Clean, Mild O.D., HIGH-GAIN it all sounded great. Wow, I was ready to walk out the door with it-some decent tuners, re-finish it with some solid color,or just the natural finish..ditch the horrid pickguard, and she's all set......then I saw what they wanted for it.

$1000? They've GOT to be kidding,right?

Who can tell me more about the Stratosonics,and what should be a decent price for one in decent condition?

• Members

Went to a GC today, with 3 goals-1) see if they had one of the new Peavey 8's to check out,2) To try out a few strats ,3) try something with P-90s.

Right off the bat, no Peavey ValveKing 8. (of course)

Killed my strat gas-tried 8 different ones-U.S.,MIM,etc none of them did anything for me no matter what amp I tried them through..not a one of them had that classic, 3-single strat sound that I recall from back when, and none of them played all that well...

So, I checked out some P-90 equipped guitars. 2 SG's with P-90s, 1 LP special (all actual Gibsons-no Epis (bleeechk), and 2 PRS SE soapbars.

The gibbys..eh, been there/done that, nothing interesting there,and none sounded much more than bland- "plink,twang,twink,puke". The PRS looked and played very nice,but the pups just sounded incredibly weak and thin. Are you guys keeping the stock pups in those? Or swapping them out with something that actually has some magnets in it somewhere?

But then, I found this beat-up,used Stratosonic in there. 1 P-90, 1 vol, 1 tone,fixed bridge and this horrid tobacco-type finish and an even more horrid pickguard that was thick as hell-looking..
:freak:
BUT, I tried it anyway and WHAM. Gots me a new gas. PLayed great,great-feeling neck, and the tone just from that simple,single P-90 was the {censored}. Clean, Mild O.D., HIGH-GAIN it all sounded great. Wow, I was ready to walk out the door with it-some decent tuners, re-finish it with some solid color,or just the natural finish..ditch the horrid pickguard, and she's all set......then I saw what they wanted for it.

Who can tell me more about the Stratosonics,and what should be a decent price for one in decent condition?

I have a 1995 50th anniversary for sale. $450 shipped.

edit: This one with new (OEM) knobs

StratOsonic013-1.jpg

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21649834&postcount=19

• Members

ya warrior that was like the one i was playing. may have to consider that one

PM me. :)

When I was researching that one, the lowest I saw was $650, and that had some pretty serious issues. The store I got it from wanted $1k, too. I swung a trade and pulled a favor to get them lower.

BTW, does your moniker have anything to do with early AD Greek?

• Members

But then, I found this beat-up,used Stratosonic in there. 1 P-90, 1 vol, 1 tone,fixed bridge and this horrid tobacco-type finish and an even more horrid pickguard that was thick as hell-looking..
BUT, I tried it anyway and WHAM. Gots me a new gas. PLayed great,great-feeling neck, and the tone just from that simple,single P-90 was the {censored}. Clean, Mild O.D., HIGH-GAIN it all sounded great. Wow, I was ready to walk out the door with it-some decent tuners, re-finish it with some solid color,or just the natural finish..ditch the horrid pickguard, and she's all set......then I saw what they wanted for it.

$1000 for that is crazy, the most I've seen those go for is about $450-$500.

ones with neck pickups go for a little more (usually $500-$600..I paid about $650 for mine).

• Members

$1000 for that is crazy, the most I've seen those go for is about $450-$500.

ones with neck pickups go for a little more (usually $500-$600..I paid about $650 for mine).

You need to check your prices. $500 is exceptional.

The cheapest I've seen is $650 w/ HSC.

• Members

You need to check your prices. $500 is exceptional.

The cheapest I've seen is $650 w/ HSC.

what do they usually go for?

I'm mostly referring to the ones I've seen around here, there were a few DV II's and a DV I here about a month ago for around $575 I think..in pretty good condition. I'm not sure, maybe they were left over stock they were trying to get rid of from 2003.

BTW, what's this custom dual tone circuit you have?

• Members

what do they usually go for?

I'm mostly referring to the ones I've seen around here, there were a few DV II's and a DV I here about a month ago for around $575 I think..in pretty good condition. I'm not sure, maybe they were left over stock they were trying to get rid of from 2003.

on eBay $675-900. I saw one local for $1k, but they offered $780. Craigslist I saw one for $800 gone in two days.

I put mine up for $450 because of a minor bridge issue and it's what I need for the HCEG Thinline. Someone will get a killer deal and I'll cover project costs, so it'll be good both ways :)

edit: was the $575 with or without a case?

• Members

Im hoping to find out in the next week or two if one (hopefully both $$) jobs Im trynng for pan out. Not sure how quick theyll get back to me.:mad: If, so, Ill most likely be in touch as Ill have some extra $$ to get some gear.

If you dont mind, what is the bridge issue? Is it something that can be replaced?

As for the name, it is a biblical reference,but in this case is also the name of a govt project Im working on at the moment.

• Members

Im hoping to find out in the next week or two if one (hopefully both $$) jobs Im trynng for pan out. Not sure how quick theyll get back to me.:mad: If, so, Ill most likely be in touch as Ill have some extra $$ to get some gear.

If you dont mind, what is the bridge issue? Is it something that can be replaced?

As for the name, it is a biblical reference,but in this case is also the name of a govt project Im working on at the moment.

• 5 years later...

Archived