Guitar Myths

mschafft

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Erlewine is a great starting point for any guitarist interested in doing their own set ups and mods, even restoration. He's not the end all and some of his suggestions are not for everyone, for example his preference for dead straight necks, but he's very knowledgeable, and has some great techniques in his books.

• Members

photon9 wrote:

Erlewine is a great starting point for any guitarist interested in doing their own set ups and mods, even restoration. He's not the end all and some of his suggestions are not for everyone, for example his preference for dead straight necks, but he's very knowledgeable, and has some great techniques in his books.

he doesnt suggest dead straight necks. he says the ideal neck has relief in the center and is straight from the 9th fret on. Thats pretty solid advice. 

• Members

Mad Tele: he doesnt suggest dead straight necks. he says the ideal neck has relief in the center and is straight from the 9th fret on. Thats pretty solid advice.

---------------------

His preference is dead straight and he says so. All his personal specs he gives for setups is 0 for relief. But yes he also says what you say so no point in busting out the ponchos over it. ;-)

• Members

photon9 wrote:

Mad Tele: he doesnt suggest dead straight necks. he says the ideal neck has relief in the center and is straight from the 9th fret on. Thats pretty solid advice.

---------------------

His preference is dead straight and he says so. All his personal specs he gives for setups is 0 for relief. But yes he also says what you say so no point in busting out the ponchos over it. ;-)

where does he say this? I have 2 of his books and they both say the same thing , basically to get the neck dead straight and then add relief until you get no buzzing.  which is common practice. (compared to Fender factory specs which is .012" relief-way to much for me)

"Both Albert and I prefer a neck to be almost straight, or maybe with just a little bit of relief -.004 to .006"

• Members

Mad Tele:

where does he say this? I have 2 of his books and they both say the same thing , basically to get the neck dead straight and then add relief until you get no buzzing. which is common practice. (compared to Fender factory specs which is .012" relief-way to much for me)

"Both Albert and I prefer a neck to be almost straight, or maybe with just a little bit of relief -.004 to .006"

--------------------

Ill double check when I get home. Get you all the refs. No problem.

Archived