A New Avenue To Explore (non guitar content)

gardo

• Members

DSC03230.JPG

My son is pretty good on the sax, but now that he is in college if he plays at all it is the alto.

I have a daughter taking sax lessons but she too prefers the alto.

So I have this vintage pro grade tenor that nobody wants to play.

It's a 1948 Conn model 10M  aka "Naked Lady" because of the engraving on the bell 

(kind of hard to see on the image)

DSC03231.JPG

It is a solid great playing sax, famous for it's "big tone"

I actually wanted to play sax when I was in elementary school but my parents could not afford one.

They did find a used clarinet cheap and told me that if I learned to play it sax would be easy to pick up.

So I tried ,but I just hated that thing . They just were not cool.

My neighbor played guitar ,now that was cool  He helped me to get started playing and life is good

But there has always been something about a tenor sax and now it seems that the only thing to do is  to

go for it.and learn to play.

• Members

"Listening to as many guitar solos as possible is the best method for someone in the early stages. But saxophone solos can be helpful. They're interesting because they're all single notes, and therefore can be repeated on the guitar. If you can copy a sax solo you're playing very well, because the average saxophonist can play much better than the average guitarist" - Ritchie Blackmore.

• Members

My daughter's sax teacher is all about classical music . But back in the 50's the only paying gig he could get was playing in a rock and roll band. He said he did not like the music but he needed the money. Sound familiar?

He plays with a very clean tone but some of the music like Yackety Sax needs a dirty tone. He was able to do this by humming when he played.to distort the tone. This guy lives right around the corner from me and I know he would teach me but like I said ,he is all about classical music and I have no desire to play that. Still haven't decided on a teacher .

Archived