Top 5 Guitar Influences

Special J

• Members

Lonnie99 wrote:

Lots of players I like, but I never wanted to learn anyone else's stuff. Granted I don't play very well but whatever I play is me. That's not meant to sound douchey.

I don't think you necessarily have to learn somebody's material to be influenced by them. Maybe listen to them a lot at some point in your life. You may have strong influences and not even know it. I've probably learned a couple of each my major influence's songs, but I play original stuff far, far more, and have never agonized in practice trying to pick up other players' techniques. Still, I think you pick certain things up subconsiously and the tone you go for in your head is made of those people's tones, somehow. Maybe.

I see some trends. Gilmour's on a lot of people's list. My own included. Hendrix and Page too. To be expected.

• Members

kit_strong wrote:

There are tons of guitarists I enjoy, admire, and respect but none of them are really the reason I picked up guitar.

I have always loved music and always enjoyed singing.  My initial reason for picking up guitar was just to be able to strum some cowboy chords while singing.

So with that in mind I guess some of my top influences would be  

Willie Nelson, Tom Petty, John Fogerty, Jeff Tweedy, Jack White.. the list could go on and on.

See, your list looks close to what my favorite singer/songwriter list would look like. Nice.

• Members

bazinga wrote:

Jimmy Page

Ritchie Blackmore

Martin Barre

SRV

David Gilmour

Hell yeah, Martin Barre. He would make it into my top 10 as well. Tull spun in our house even more than Hendrix when I was growing up. Everyone always says this, but he's a very underrated guitarist.

• Members

Won't stop at 5, sue me.

Reasons I picked up the guitar:

Ace Frehley

Davey Johnstone

Ritchie Blackmore ("Woman From Tokyo")

Mick Taylor

Pete Townshend

Players who made me love music and want to play more at an impressionable age:

Peter Buck

The Edge

Kimberly Rew (God bless the Soft Boys)

John McGeoch

Eddie Van Halen

Luther Perkins

Angus Young (where is he in this thread?)

Players who made me delighted that I took up the guitar:

Kevin Shields

J. Mascis

Greg Kendall (Boston's late great Tacklebox); other old Boston friends who could really play like Mike Leahy and Dave Spaulding

Prince

Lightnin' Hopkins

Terry Bickers

Glenn Tipton / K. K. Downing

Pete Kember, Jason Pierce

The players who I now still really love to listen to, closely, and think about their playing and/or approach:

Jeff Davies (former BJM, now a sad story in LA)

Roger McGuinn

Dick Dale

Jack White

Jimmy Page

Roy Montgomery

Homesick James

Alvin Lee

Jorma Kaukonen

Archived