Strat, Jazzmaster, jaguar...differences and overlap

datru

• Members

Strat, Jazzmaster, Jaguar 

In your experience, where do these three guitars overlap in tones and where are they unique?  Can a Jag sub for a Strat? or Jazzmaster?  That's the general idea.

Thanks.

• Members

datru wrote:

Strat, Jazzmaster, Jaguar 

In your experience, where do these three guitars overlap in tones and where are they unique?  Can a Jag sub for a Strat? or Jazzmaster?  That's the general idea.

Either Jag pickup solo'd is pretty similar to the same position pickup on a Strat. The middle positions are totally different. The feel is a lot different between the two due to Jags being 24" scale.

Jazzmasters have their own sound, warmer than either of the others, because of the different pickup design. But they feel almost identical to a Strat in terms of the neck.

The function and sound of the Jag/Jazz tremolo is completely different from the one on the Strat.

• Members

A jazzmaster can do strat-like stuff, and vice versa. Jags are a special breed, the shorter scale makes it harded to get that strat/jm vibe going imo. Might indeed have to do with the feel rather that the tone, cause I'd agree it can be dialed in to mimmick some strat tones. Again though, not as convincingly as a jazzmaster impo.

• Moderators

Of the three, I find Jags are the most unique-sounding, and also the least versitaile. There is just a lot of individual character to the Jag sound, in part because of the bridge type/scale length combo.

Jazzmasters kind of fits in the middle of the three. They have some of the "ploink" of the Jaguar, but are usually a little deeper and more "normal" sounding. So they are a little more versitaile, but also have a bit less of a readily-identifiable sound.

And then Strats are arguably the most "normal" and versitaile of the three.

• Members

BATCAT wrote:

Of the three, I find Jags are the most unique-sounding, and also the least versitaile. There is just a lot of individual character to the Jag sound, in part because of the bridge type/scale length combo.

Jazzmasters kind of fits in the middle of the three. They have some of the "ploink" of the Jaguar, but are usually a little deeper and more "normal" sounding. So they are a little more versitaile, but also have a bit less of a readily-identifiable sound.

And then Strats are arguably the most "normal" and versitaile of the three.

Okay the Jaguar is now at the top of my gas list.  Thank you very much :smileythumbsupsmall:

Archived