How do I date this Ibanez?

MaxVolume

• Members

OK, so I've been to every Ibanez serial number help site you can find on Google and none of them have helped. Maybe someone here can help me out. I've got an Ibanez RG270 (The one from my signature.) that has a strange serial number. The prefix is "C" for "Cort". That much I was able to make out. That, and it says "Made in Korea" on it. So instead of having a 7 or 8 digit number (like ibanezrules says...) it has a SIX digit number.

C414688

It says that the "4" represents the year; 1994. But what's the rest of it mean? Is the "1" mean January? And if so, shouldn't it say "01" instead?

• Moderators

1975 - Present, This old style serial number will either be on the neck plate or impressed into the back of the headstock. It consists of a letter, A - L, followed by a 6 digit number. The letter stands for the month, A for January etc., the first 2 digits will be the year, 76 is 1976, 96 is 1996, the last 4 digits will be the consecutive production number for that months production, 1356 would be the 1356th guitar produced that month. This form of serial numbering is still used today on guitars where the number is impressed into the back of the headstock. A761356 - The 1356th guitar produced in January '76

Archived