Need Some Ideas For New PU's For My Ibby Artcore

Old Fart Rocker

• Members

I've had an Ibanez Artcore AS73 for 6-7 years. I really enjoy playing this guitar, but have never been crazy about the tone. I played an Epi Dot and Gibby 335 the other day at my local shop through the same amp I use. I realized that my AS73 sounded dull, lifeless, and not a lot of tone definition compared to the Dot and 335.

What would you guys recommend as replacement pu's to get closer to the Dot/335 tone? I would prefer not to put $400 worth of pu's in a $400 guitar. But, could spend up to $150.

Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks!

• Members

Well, you could always go to ebay and see if you can find a used set of Alnico Classics (in the Dot) or Gibson 57 Classics (in the 335). Epi's Alnico Classics are their version of the Gibsons, and they sound pretty great, I think.

I have a set of Duncan Alnico Pro IIs in my Epi Dot, and they sound wonderful to me. Lots of character, nice mids.

• Members

First question: What kind of sound are you looking for the beastie?

Second: Did you try changing the stop tailpiece? (the stock one, with the string slots, sucked to tone out of mine.)

Third: Try flatwounds, if looking for an "older" tone.

I put a Dimarzio dual sound (from the '70's) in the neck, wired to a phase switch, and a 6 way tone capacitor selector switch. And an unknown Duncan, (Damn label fell off YEARS ago.) in the bridge, with a series/single/parallel switch. I LOVE the tones coming from it, and will put it up against any semi hollow!

• Members

I stuck a GFS Fat Pat in the bridge and a Mean 90 in the neck on my Dot, then wired a push/pull for phase when both pickups are on. Lots of useful sounds out of that one.

I definitely like the Mean 90 in the neck, but I always like P-90's in the neck. The Fat Pat is workable, but sounds like a hot PAF (which it is, so no surprise there).

Archived