Hamer guys: What's a four digit serial Standard worth?

silverfacechamp

• Members

I have a lead on a BEAT and I mean BEAT black USA Hamer Standard with a four digit serial. Serial is something like 0574 IIRC. This thing is hashed...will need a complete refurb and refin to even be presentable and playable. One of the worst cosmetic condition guitars I've ever seen. However, aside from an extra hole drilled in the top for a long-gone knob, the guitar seems structurally sound. No big chunks of wood missing or anything...but the finish is absolutely destroyed.

Thoughts on what this thing is worth?

• Members

Go to the Hamer forum, those guys will be able to give you an idea. I hang out there a bit and the last 4 digit Standard that was in fair shape that was sold on the buy/sell board sold in the $4500.00 range if I remember correctly. There were not that many made and the guitars/brand has an almost religious cult following. It sounds like the guitar you have a chance at will need at least $1000.00 in work, what is the person asking for it?

• Members

Go to the Hamer forum, those guys will be able to give you an idea. I hang out there a bit and the last 4 digit Standard that was in fair shape that was sold on the buy/sell board sold in the $4500.00 range if I remember correctly. There were not that many made and the guitars/brand has an almost religious cult following. It sounds like the guitar you have a chance at will need at least $1000.00 in work, what is the person asking for it?

That's sort of what I was seeing as well. I should've picked it up yesterday when I found it, but I didn't know enough about Hamers to distinguish between the newer USA's and the old ones. I know now, though. I'm guessing that the guitar is a $1500-$2500 instrument as it sits. I can grab the thing really cheap, so I'm going to snag it right away this morning. Pics to follow if everything goes well.

• Members

I'm a Hamer guy, but to be honest, I haven't paid attention to the 4digit prices. The ones that are in demand are in very good (or better), original condition. If you plan to make this a project, I'd only pay as much as you're willing to invest into a player's guitar, keeping in mind the costs for all the repairs.

You might want to visit the Hamer Fan Club forum for more info.

• Members

I'm a Hamer guy, but to be honest, I haven't paid attention to the 4digit prices. The ones that are in demand are in very good (or better), original condition. If you plan to make this a project, I'd only pay as much as you're willing to invest into a player's guitar, keeping in mind the costs for all the repairs.

You might want to visit the Hamer Fan Club forum for more info.

There's one on the RSGuitarworks website that was repainted into a god-awful zebra paint job, had a very poorly done 'aftermarket' veneer top under the paint, and had practically none of the original hardware. Dude paid $1500 for that one. So, I don't know. I figure since this one at least has the original parts and finish it's gotta be worth at least that. I may just see if I can get one of the Hamer guys to trade me for a Gibby LP or higher end Strat. Explorers really aren't my cup of tea, and this thing would just be relegated to a closet if I kept it.

• Members

Ok...just got home with it.

It's actually not quite as bad as I remembered to be but, as you can see, it definitely has some issues.

Has a Kahler trem, which doesn't appear to be original, although this is one of the TOM swap trems, so no additional holes appear to have been drilled in the guitar when the old TOM was removed. Schaller tuners. Bridge humbucker is not original, but it appears that the neck humbucker is the original Dimarzio.

Serial number 0547.

Pics:

Hamer001.jpg

Hamer002.jpg

Hamer003.jpg

Hamer004.jpg

Hamer005.jpg

• Members

Did you get this one recently from a TGP'er? I was close to buying it, just couldn't find the cash. Would love to hear any recordings you've made with it.

Actually, I bought it from our very own Great Dane. No, I haven't used it on any recordings yet; I still need to find the time to get it to a repair guy and get it set up for .12's. It sounds freakin' gorgeous, though. I'm still stunned that Hamer isn't better known, they make (made?) such great guitars.

• Members

Hamer001.jpg

Hamer002.jpg

Hamer003.jpg

Hamer004.jpg

Hamer005.jpg

That's not so bad, other than the hole in the front most of the damage is cosmetic. Slap some clearcoat to limit the wear or just leave it as is for that "I've gigged this mofo for over 30 years" look.

• Members

Actually, I bought it from our very own Great Dane. No, I haven't used it on any recordings yet; I still need to find the time to get it to a repair guy and get it set up for .12's. It sounds freakin' gorgeous, though. I'm still stunned that Hamer isn't better known, they make (made?) such great guitars.

Well, please let me know if you either decide to pass it on or get some clips done.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Hate to bump this three years later, but I was the owner of that Hamer when I had to, for reasons I won't et into here, use it as a pawn loan some years back.

Played this machine all through high school, and yeah, those decals were mine.

At an '80s party with it

High school senior pic with the machine

If the current owner is still around and posting, I thought I'd mention I also still have the original case.  Would love to reunite the guitar to the case if you're at all interested.

Let me know...

Thanks.

-A

Archived