Thinking about buying the Rocksmith to learn bass

wankdeplank

• Members

I guess.  Whatever gets you doing what you want is what you should do. 

I suppose I'm just not wired like that though.  If I want to learn something then I just will.   I would probably just use youtube vids/lessons and learn bass parts I like, in the same way I learn guitar. 

But as I said...absolutely nothing wrong with doing it that way if you think that's what you need.  I've not tried Rocksmith but I like the idea of it. 

• Members

I have and like Rocksmith original.  If you have a setup where you can use the game system or computer freely, I think it's worth it.  And the 2014 version is supposed to be much faster, which was a big problem with the original.

Pros: Fun, seems like a pretty good learning tool

Cons: Can be a little slow, have to have a tv/pc to use

I find I don't use it a lot because getting the TV to use the PS3 isn't going to happen.  I recently got the PC version b/c it was onsale cheap.  I think that will be used more because I have more control over my laptop and I can take it with me.

It's another step to get into practicing. I really like the game and find when I do get to play, HOURS go by without me noticing.  

• Members

Hey really appreciate you fellas weighing in.  So far that's five yays and no nays, sounds like a slam dunk.  Nice inciteful stuff from you users (drmoniker and JP), hard to know what you're getting yourself into just based on ads and internet hype otherwise.  2014 it is then.

I understand that playing the game makes you process in just a slightly different way than learning by tab or ear.  I'm thinking that might translate real well to learning something similar to what I can do on guitar but yet a little different.  There should be some interesting crossover and hey if it gets me to pick up that battle axe, the battle's half won already.  May be after Christmas at this point, but I think I'm gonna go for it.

Thanks for the input and love to hear more from you users out there.

• Members

Good point Badpenguin. I've not actually tried the bass option, so I don't know what bass techniques are on there. I wouldn't use Rocksmith as my only practice tool for either guitar or bass, but it is a lot of fun and gives you a chance to (sort of) jam with other people.

Archived