any PRO bookers out there anymore?!

• Members

Hey everyone,

My metal band is looking to tour for 2 weeks starting late July and it just seems like one cluster{censored} after another. My bandmates have a tendency to rely on MySpace to get bookers/shows through there. Live and learn is all I have to say. These guys have no {censored}ing clue what they are doing. We need 8 gigs to add down south and what I want to know if what is the most EFFICIENT way to book gigs and find booking agents who are professional. I have played my last gig where I drive 4 hours, have my singers mic broken the whole set, and not have ONE CENT of compensation. Let me know your secrets because even though I have been playing guitar for 12 years, my experience in the actual business in quite limited.

my band is at www.myspace.com/theenigmaspiral

• Members

Just like any insurance or real estate agent, a booking agent looks to make his commission (and living) by offering a good product that he can sell. The indie metal market, (as almost always) is pretty low. I'm sure you've got a grasp of club economics from your own scene. Its not really any better anywhere else. and its usually worse for an unknown traveling band. The best thing you can do is become the best "product" you can be. Yes, I know all of this goes against our "keep it real" "I just want to play music" ethic. If you don't want to be part of the ugly business end of it, get someone who is good with money and is very persuasive on the phone to be your manager. Sounds a bit cold to talk about the business side of things and everyone getting their money, when there are so many other VERY VERY cool things about playing music. I think that EVERYONE could stand to be a bit less selfish and EVERYONE would benefit...but thats another rant...

On this level (without national distro/advertising/tour support) networking is your best means of getting out of your town. It sucks, the shows are ghetto, you go broke until one of two things happens... 1. you all hate it enough that you give up or 2. you make the right connection, open for the right band, or whatever and something happens to get you to the next level.

The realities of "making it", especially in the dirty metal underground are harsh. But in my years I've seen many of my friends do pretty well for themselves with some hard work and a few costly road trips.

sorry for the long post.

-Nate

• Members

Just like any insurance or real estate agent, a booking agent looks to make his commission (and living) by offering a good product that he can sell. The indie metal market, (as almost always) is pretty low. I'm sure you've got a grasp of club economics from your own scene. Its not really any better anywhere else. and its usually worse for an unknown traveling band. The best thing you can do is become the best "product" you can be. Yes, I know all of this goes against our "keep it real" "I just want to play music" ethic. If you don't want to be part of the ugly business end of it, get someone who is good with money and is very persuasive on the phone to be your manager. Sounds a bit cold to talk about the business side of things and everyone getting their money, when there are so many other VERY VERY cool things about playing music. I think that EVERYONE could stand to be a bit less selfish and EVERYONE would benefit...but thats another rant...

On this level (without national distro/advertising/tour support) networking is your best means of getting out of your town. It sucks, the shows are ghetto, you go broke until one of two things happens... 1. you all hate it enough that you give up or 2. you make the right connection, open for the right band, or whatever and something happens to get you to the next level.

The realities of "making it", especially in the dirty metal underground are harsh. But in my years I've seen many of my friends do pretty well for themselves with some hard work and a few costly road trips.

sorry for the long post.

-Nate

+ 1000

In addition, I don't know of any agents that book bands based on what they get at the door. They will book you if you 1) you are known well enough to where you can get a guarantee, and 2) that guarantee is worth their time in phone calls and mailings. No agent worth a damn is going to book you for 20 and 30 dollar commissions. It takes far more work and expense to book an unknown band with no draw than it does a well known band. That's the catch 22 most bands seeking agents find themselves in.

Sadly, pro agents pretty much disappeared with the 6 night a week cover band gigs, and now most pros are only booking top drawing regionals and nationals that can earn them a living.

• Moderators

Sadly, the above posts are pretty accurate. YOu couldtry googling booking agents in the cities you want to work and make the phone calls, send the packet, etc...but odds are you will not get much positive reponse.

Are you well known on a regional level?

Have you toured outside your region before?

Do you have a good selection of press clippings?

Agents need to be able to sell you to venues, so these are the kinds of questions they will ask...long before $ gets discussed.

Archived