Lacquered vs. wrapped

u6crash

• Members

Can someone explain these terms to me? I'm pretty sure I know what lacquered means, but what does it mean when a drum shell is wrapped? I get the impression that it's a quicker/cheaper way to finish a drum, but just wonder what it involves.

Sorry, I'm still super new to the whole drum world...still kind of deciding what I should buy.

• Members

I believe 'wrapped' finishes are shells that wrapped by a specially finished paper (or foil). Think of wrapping a box with gift wrap.

Laquered are painted shells with gloss or clear coatings.

I do believe wrapped finishes are cheaper since they can be manufactured faster. Also there is a small chance of them acutally peeling off. But this is very rare, unless you settle for the lowest quality drumset around.

• Members

Originally posted by Adan_V

I believe 'wrapped' finishes are shells that wrapped by a specially finished paper (or foil). Think of wrapping a box with gift wrap.

Laquered are painted shells with gloss or clear coatings.

I do believe wrapped finishes are cheaper since they can be manufactured faster. Also there is a small chance of them acutally peeling off. But this is very rare, unless you settle for the lowest quality drumset around.

You are correct. Most wraps are made of some type of plastic, generally PVC. Since the lugs hold them in place as well, they cannot peel off entireley, but a poorly applied wrap or one that is not cared for may peel at the seem. It can be easily fixed with adhesive.

Lacquer finishes are far more complicated to apply and therefore the price is always hiher then a wrap.

• Members

Wrapped shells are usually cheaper because of two reasons:

1. As mentioned, there's less labor involved in wrapping a shell as opposed to lacquering.

2. When wrapping a shell, the outter ply can be less-than perfect because it won't be seen. Therefore, manufacturers can use lower-grade wood. Lacquered kits usually have better grade wood becuse the outter ply will be seen.

If you notice, a lot of entry-level kits are wrapped. Manufacturers see this finishing technique as a good way to keep costs down. This is why a lot of players usually frown on upper-level kits that are wrapped - the thinking is, if you're going to spend the money, might as well follow-through with the finishing too.

Also, some people think that a wrap will slightly inhibit the shell's ability to vibrate, dampening the drum's sustain and tone. Opinions vary on this thought.

hope this was helpful.

• Members

a lot of people prefer a wrapped drum for gigging because it is has a much higher resistance to abrasion and scratching. Honestly, i don't think you're going to notice much of a sound difference between a wrapped or laquered drum of the same type, especially since most wraps are applied with glue and would vibrate w/ the shell.

• Members

I've looked up some images and I admit that I really like the translucent look of lacquer, but even though I don't plan to do much gigging, I know that any set I get at this point is going to get banged up just because of the small confines I have.

• Members

With a wrapped finish on many higher end drums, the wood is not necessarily lower-grade soundwise. On lacquer finish drums, the outer ply will be of a better aesthetic quality.

If you gig a lot (or just like how a certain wrap looks), a wrapped finish might be a better choice, as it would be more prone to be banged and joustled around.

My choice: Tempus fiberglass! The finish is in the shell, not an outside layer. Damnear indestructible.

• Members

Originally posted by stapes2260

a lot of people prefer a wrapped drum for gigging because it is has a much higher resistance to abrasion and scratching. Honestly, i don't think you're going to notice much of a sound difference between a wrapped or laquered drum of the same type, especially since most wraps are applied with glue and would vibrate w/ the shell.

Agreed. Wraps are much more durable than a furniture grade stain/lacquer job. Give me two identical drums, one wrapped and one lacquered, let me tune 'em, and I'll guarantee that you can't hear a difference, and double the guarantee that in the context of a performance it'll be even more impossible to tell a difference.

One other thing to think about from a looks standpoint is that there are some really interesting/cool looking wraps available (go to www.precisiondrum.com and check theirs out). Some of these looks would be extremely difficult or impossible to pull off with a paint, stain, or other non-wrap finish.

Finally, wraps offer one other cool advantage. After a couple of years, if you're sick of your current wrap (or lacquer for that matter) you can buy raw wrap in another color/style/design and re-wrap your kit. It'll look brand new and is very easy to do (I've done it, and I'm completely incompetent:D ). An amateur re-stain and lacquer job is harder to do, and most people don't have the equipment or skills to do a totally top notch job (expecially when you consider the process involved in removing the old finish).

Anyway, lacquer will always cost more because there's more labor involved...that's it. Don't assume that "it must be better because it costs more" because it's just not true.

Remember, if you think your drums look cool, you'll probably want to be around them more, and if you're around them more you'll probably play them more, practice more, and play better in the end.

Archived