fav time signature to play?

zarazabas

• Members

7/8 is my favorite time signature because I've always felt like I can do so much with it. I also like it because it's fun to mix with 8/8 time signatures.

8/8, 7/8, 8/8, 7/8.....you get the idea.

Same thing goes for 6/8 and 12/8, but those are too common so I don't like to use them unless I absolutely have to.

• Members

4/4 and 6/8 being the simplest, obviously

Other fun signatures:

7/4

9/8

Never found 5/4 to be much for me for some reason, I just can't get a groove going at all.

I've also been through crazier stuff like 19/16 or 15/16, and while they're fun for showing off or doing in a small section, they don't lend themselves well to grooves, in my opinion

• Members

Originally posted by Private Viper

I've also been through crazier stuff like 19/16 or 15/16, and while they're fun for showing off or doing in a small section, they don't lend themselves well to grooves, in my opinion

There's a Mahavishnu Orchestra song - can't remember the name - but it's in 19/16 and Billy Cobham makes it groove like it's in 4/4. It's amazing.

• Members

Originally posted by ArtVandelay

There's a Mahavishnu Orchestra song - can't remember the name - but it's in 19/16 and Billy Cobham makes it groove like it's in 4/4. It's amazing.

Well, yeah, but he's Billy Cobham, and I'm a mortal :D:rolleyes:

• Members

I don't really pay attention to time sigs when drumming. I just go with the music or whatever is in my head.

I've noticed a lot of my guitar riffs are in 7. It's got a great "wrap-around" feel to it. Starts as it ends and ends as it starts. No break in the action.

:cool:

• Members

i've always wanted to play a crazy polyrhythm groove with...

4/4

5/4

6/4

7/4

all at once!!!

or something of the like...

i've written little drum beats like on fruity loops and stuff..

it's sounds so neat!:o;):D

however, learning to play that would be hard!

the 4 and 6 i can do.

the others over 4 i can't even do!

imagine all at once!

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Can't go wrong with 4/4. It just works so well.

6/8 is fun, but every drummer seems to play it the same. You don't hear many songs in 6/8 these days though.

I usually play odd time in a 4/4 feel so it grooves. You don't get that 'music to fall down to' feel.

Archived