cymbal cleaning

Remmurd

• Members

Sorry to drag this thread back to the top, but......

I decided to clean my Sabian AAX cymbals this weekend. They have about a years worth of grime and black marks on them, and I havent cleaned them (or any cymbals) before.

After reading this thread I thought I would go with the proper Sabian cleaning fluid just in case.

It took a few goes to clean them up well, the amount of grime that came off them was shocking.

It still took the logos off though! :( They went all faint and patchy.

But - the hats sounded great when really clean, really bright and crisp. I'd rather have that than the logos. In fact they look kinda cool with faded logos.

Ho-hum - im gonna clean them more reguarly now, and may use brasso next time instead of the stupidly expensive Sabian stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by Camel

Sorry to drag this thread back to the top, but......

I decided to clean my Sabian AAX cymbals this weekend. They have about a years worth of grime and black marks on them, and I havent cleaned them (or any cymbals) before.

After reading this thread I thought I would go with the proper Sabian cleaning fluid just in case.

It took a few goes to clean them up well, the amount of grime that came off them was shocking.

It still took the logos off though!
:(
They went all faint and patchy.

But - the hats sounded great when really clean, really bright and crisp. I'd rather have that than the logos. In fact they look kinda cool with faded logos.

Ho-hum - im gonna clean them more reguarly now, and may use brasso next time instead of the stupidly expensive Sabian stuff.

Yeah, I accidently took the logos off my AAX as well. I'm not a big fan of the Sabian logo anyway so I wasn't really that bumbed about it.

That was the last time I ever cleaned a cymbal though...about 4 years ago. I prefer more of a dark sound anyway from cymbals. The grime comforts me in a way. I can see a small tarnished green spot and remember what show/practice it occured.

• Members

Originally posted by rumblebelly

I can see a small tarnished green spot and remember what show/practice it occured.

Dude...that's oxidation...your cymbal is literally decomposing right before your eyes. In a couple hundred years or so, it might actually wear all the way through. Do yourself a favor and put away $1 every year (with compound interest, you might only need to save $0.25 annually), so when the cymbal DOES completely decompose, you'll have enough cash to buy a replacement.

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

I normally like playing dark dirty cymbals, but I purchased a few used ones recently and they are beyond dirty (sticky grimey smelly even..) So I had to scrub a dub dub them. The Hi Hats pictured below weren't the dirtiest of them all, these were actually "clean" compared to a few other cymbals I have, but nontheless they had to be sanitized because I don't know where they've been.

Take a look below:

Bottom Hat - Looks similar to Top Hat before cleaning

348614735_2187cf0f2b.jpg

Top Hat - After Cleaning

348614733_70d3f06bd7.jpg

Underneath Hats (Left one has not been cleaned, Right one has)

348614730_0ea5eb7fae.jpg

I first used Barkeepers Friend and a Toothbrush w/ some warm water and scrubbed all the gunk off, including the tattered logo or what was left of it that is. They are 14" Paiste 200 Series.

Lots and lots of brushing w/ the "grain" (groove) of the cymbal, which takes entirely too much time.

Afterwards, I wiped it down and followed w/ an old Cymbal Polish that I had lying around for years. Pro Mark Cymbal Polish believe it or not.

Anyway, I can see my face in the cymbal - this is the first time I ever tried cleaning a cymbal to this extreme. I haven't played it yet (it's late) so I don't know if it will sound any different.

If anyone has any info on Paiste 200 Series Cymbals please do share. I've heard that they are a Brass lower end series and were manufactured in West Germany in the 1980's.

;)

• Members

Originally posted by YOSOYDRUM

If anyone has any info on Paiste 200 Series Cymbals please do share. I've heard that they are a Brass lower end series and were manufactured in West Germany in the 1980's.

True, they are begginner level cymbals made from brass alloy produced from 1986 to the beginning of the 90's...

I don't reccommend BRASSO for B8 and B20 type alloys, but I would reccomend Brasso to clean those Brass alloy cymbals and you will see'em shine...

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the tip trackman.

Here is another update:

Below is a used "sizzle" cymbal that I had to clean.

Dirty

351801538_fadf801645.jpg

Clean

351801544_c5da3f0497.jpg

Archived