Learn to develope single bass before applying double bass

drumcanman

• Members

This is one of the Patterens I have found usefull in building up my Right foot.

My drum teacher a long time ago showed me this triplet exercise and said if I wanted to play 2 bassdrums I should learn to play patterns like this with one foot first then if if I added a note or 2 with the left foot I would be able to create interesting double bass.

Audio only as MY video files seem to take forever to load.

http://media.putfile.com/onefootbandit

Have fun and God Bless

Tim

www.timwaterson.com:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by ArtVandelay

Thanks, Tim!

Good stuff. I've always considered strengthening single bass drum to be my primary goal even though I do use a double pedal.

Art

Thanks for the kind words.

My Drum Instructor wanted me not to fall in trap of relying on 2 bassdrums to do what you can do with one foot

IE NO quads with 2 feet.

I developed one foot at a time and slowly started adding in the other foot and this gave me the ability to do things like taking a double bass shuffle a1 a2 a3 a4 and playing it with one foot if you throw in the other foot 1e 2e 3e 4e you can turn it into a swiss triplet quite efforltessly.

Hope this helps

God Bless

Tim

www.timwaterson.com

• Members

I disagree. In my opinion, if the music you are playing and WANT to play has double bass in it, then you might as well learn how right off the bat.

In my opinion there is NO point in learning how to play with 1 foot on the kick and one on the hats and THEN having to unlearn that an learn how to play with both feet on a kick.

That is no different than telling someone to learn how to play using only 1 handed before learning how to play with 2 hands. You don't ever hear anyone suggest THAT so why would you suggest it for your feet?

That's silly IMO.

Not only is it a matter of learning and relearning, but it's a matter of staying motivated. When I first started playing, I wanted to play Fear Factory and Slayer. If I had to play some bull{censored} music that I hated I wouldn't have got half as much practice as I did. Instead, I would put in my favorite Slayer or Fear Factory CD, throw on my headphones and do the best I could. I would practice for hours on end like that.

What are the chances I would have practiced half that amount if I was listening to music I didn't like and/or didn't care to play? Slim to none.

I'd love to see a video of this... because we all know that a Vruk system will alow you to play doublestrokes like this (Even though it is perfectly doable with one foot) and we also know how much you like the Vruk.

• Members

Dark Slide. I don't entirely disagree with you. However, I would say that metal music is the ONLY style where double bass is a must. Pretty much every other style (and there are obviously many) can be done with single bass drum. Other styles of music are enhanced more by hi-hat accents and varying tensions with the hi-hat pedal so that focusing too much on double bass would actually be a hindrance for somebody who wishes to play something other than metal. As a result, I don't think it's overgeneralizing to state that players should try to become adept at single bass drum before advancing to double. The only exeption would be metal - and not even all metal.

• Members

Yeah, we're saying the same thing, just different ways. Obviously if you're not using double bass constantly, then there is no need to start with it.

As far as the stuff in this clip goes... I've stated my opinion. I've never seen Tim play those kinds of patterns without a Vruk, and as far as I am concerned, the Vruk system is cheating. Everything that I have seen a Vruk do can be done without one, the only difference is that you're replacing talent, time and effort, with money and a gimmick.

• Members

Tim- Great to see you here!! Stick around!

Your post reminds me of the story of the drum off between Buddy Rich and Louis Bellson. During the drum off the two greats were trading 4's. Louis was of course playing his (a man before his times), double bass kit. Buddy was only playing a single bass drum set.

During the trading 4's Louis looked over at Buddy as with a "take this" grin and laid into a double bass smoken' roll of 32nd notes.

Everyone erupted in cheers.

Buddy, ... without missing a beat (pardon the pun), grinned a cheshire cat grin, looked back over at Louis ... and with one pedal, laid into a 64th note roll with one foot! The place went crazy!!

I have always loved that story.

If there is any doubt about what can be achieved with double bass, check out the Thomas Lang DVD! Freightening! I will say this, ... for the meat and potato player (guys like me that make their living playing 2 and 4), double bass is a novelty.

Seeing Thomas, ... made me want to hang up the ole' pedal!

DJ

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Slide

Yeah, we're saying the same thing, just different ways. Obviously if you're not using double bass constantly, then there is no need to start with it.

As far as the stuff in this clip goes... I've stated my opinion. I've never seen Tim play those kinds of patterns without a Vruk, and as far as I am concerned, the Vruk system is cheating. Everything that I have seen a Vruk do can be done without one, the only difference is that you're replacing talent, time and effort, with money and a gimmick.

Nick that is not done with the vruk go to http://www.timwaterson.com/audio_video.htm

Here you will see my WFD accuacy experiment with triplets up to 220 with one foot.

YES I LOve the vruk but what people dont understand is that the vruk will allow you to pull off accented patterns with power and with speed that could take a lifetime to learn.

Its ALL GOOD

God Bless

Tim

www.timwaterson.com:cool:

• Members

Hey Tim... I have watched the video before. There are a couple of things about it that make it unhelpful.

1) We can't see your foot or pedal. So there is no way of knowing what technique you are using, and/or if you are using a Vruk or not.

2) It's on an electronic kit. Do you have any videos of you playing that on an acoustic kit?

My problem is that I have seen people play triplets before and wasn't impressed. A mesh electronic kick head provides a crapload more rebound than an acoustic head will and generally I would be a lot more impressed if I could see what was going on, on an acoustic kit.

Obviously it can be done, I've seen Jojo do it a number of times.

That being said, I don't see how any of this applies to learning double bass regardless.

• Members

Originally posted by Dark Slide

Hey Tim... I have watched the video before. There are a couple of things about it that make it unhelpful.

1) We can't see your foot or pedal. So there is no way of knowing what technique you are using, and/or if you are using a Vruk or not.

2) It's on an electronic kit. Do you have any videos of you playing that on an acoustic kit?

My problem is that I have seen people play triplets before and wasn't impressed. A mesh electronic kick head provides a crapload more rebound than an acoustic head will and generally I would be a lot more impressed if I could see what was going on, on an acoustic kit.

Obviously it can be done, I've seen Jojo do it a number of times.

That being said, I don't see how any of this applies to learning double bass regardless.

DJ

GLAD to be back on the board.

YES Thomas Is Great so Is, Virgil #1 and Grant Collins and this LIST goes on and on.....

NICK,

The video shows one foot as A LOT of double bass drummers ARE lost when they dont have 2 bassdrums.

I use to be that way too so I worked on dev eloping my foot to be able to play patterns that would normally be executed by 2 feet.

JO JO has seen me do it on an accoustic kit and HE was impressed, so If I can impress someone Like JO JO I must be doing something right.

And it will be on the NEW DVd on accoustickit, practice pad and the Pintechs.:)

That Video was put up in May and I dont have time to work on demos right now as I am trying to get the DVD done for Christmas,

God Bless

Tim

www.timwaterson.com

Archived