Worst famous rock drummer ever?

BigED

• Members

Originally posted by Tomske

well IMO i'd rather do something good and get diddly squat for it than do something {censored} and all show and get millions for it.

And the good guys always wins

The hero always gets the girls

The underdog always overcomes

:) come on now! Everyone join in!

kum bay ya, my lord! kum bay ya.....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's a difference between the worst rock drummer and the worst drummer. The worst rock drummer would be classified as the worst drummer from a rock music recording, hence limiting what we are judging. The worst drummer would encompas much more such as those who can play one style or genre but nothing else. Most of the arguements against Travis Barker or Tre Cool and such are not against his drumming but against his lack of diversity, there's a big difference. A drummer who can play at 85% in all categories is to me a better drummer than one who can play 100% in one style but not even 10% in any other.

That being said, the worst rock drummer ever was me, circa 91-95, and I have the recordings to prove it. No, I won't share them, they'll beat anything from Steven King.

• Members

Originally posted by rogersdrummer18

IMHO, Tre Cool ("that guy from green day) isn't a bad rock drummer. He's actually really good, he's a punk drummer that's branched out based on the needs the band expressed.

he ain't a bad rock drum, hes pretty good for what he does. but i don't like his style, or for that matter green day.

• Members

Seems like pretty much all of the guys mentioned so far have some merits that got them where they are. Sure I hate Tommy Lees playing, but in all honesty im sitting in a cubicle all day, playing drums for fun, and hes banging Hot chix and playing drums for a fantastic amount of coin.

Who am I to judge? Seems like, asshole that he is, he did something right and I {censored}ed up:D :D

• Members

yeah he did something right... he acted like a {censored}up and got on tour with kiss... another technically {censored}ty rock band who are only good at theatrics. Mraia, you should have been practicing hair coiffing, whiskey pounding and stick spinning instead of your rudiments!

• Members

look at that video, im not saying travis barker is crap but he is all show and very overrated.

That is just about the worst solo I've ever heard. Simplistic, repetetive, and derivative.

What a bore. Take away the lights and crowd and you have exactly the same thing that a lot of us were doing in our parents basements in high school.

• Members

Originally posted by mraia

That is just about the worst solo I've ever heard. Simplistic, repetetive, and derivative.

What a bore. Take away the lights and crowd and you have exactly the same thing that a lot of us were doing in our parents basements in high school.

Finally someone that shares my opinion!!

• Members

well IMO i'd rather do something good and get diddly squat for it than do something {censored} and all show and get millions for it.

Hmm. Interesting.

You'll probably achieve that, then.

Your job as a member of the team is to serve the music, and the music serves the audience. I'd actually say the worst drummers are the ones that put their own egos in front of the music that they're there to perform.

The musicians that are making money are making money because people enjoy the music. That's what they're there for. Obviously, they're doing a decent job at it.

Sure Meg White isn't all chops, but she serves the music well. It's very university--party type music. Like the Violent Femmes... Throw Neil Pert in the White Stripes or the Violent Femmes and it would be absolutely revolting...

• Members

well actually jack white has made a new band call the raconteurs because meg white didn't really serve his music..

Didn't she? Sales figures seem to indicate she did.

Sales figures may also show if Jack was right to ditch her... if that's why he started the Raconteurs, of course...

• Moderators

well actually jack white has made a new band call the raconteurs because meg white didn't really serve his music..

"When she started to play drums with me, just on a lark, it felt liberating and refreshing. There was something in it that opened me up."

:wave:

I think that when Meg White is brought up it often illuminates some interesting truths about rock. "Good", "worst", "better", "best" are all rather beside the point. As musicians we often focus on the technical side of things, naturally enough, because we personally confront the mechanics of musicmaking.

The problem is when we forget that the ultimate test of the music we make is when it hits the ears (and hopefully, heart) of the listener. And the vast majority of listeners aren't thinking "I could play that drum part", "the choruses seem to speed up a bit", or "I wonder if that guy is using heel-toe to do those awesome bass drum triplets"... they're feeling elated, or melancholy, or excited... or maybe they're just not liking the song at all.

While technique (or lack therof) comes into play during the creation of the song, if the song connects with the listener, then the technique, however primitive or developed, is "good" technique.

• Members

Originally posted by Actionsquid

"When she started to play drums with me, just on a lark, it felt liberating and refreshing. There was something in it that opened me up."

I think that when Meg White is brought up it often illuminates some interesting truths about rock. "Good", "worst", "better", "best" are all rather beside the point. As musicians we often focus on the technical side of things, naturally enough, because we personally confront the mechanics of musicmaking.

The problem is when we forget that the ultimate test of the music we make is when it hits the ears (and hopefully, heart) of the listener. And the vast majority of listeners aren't thinking "
I
could play that drum part", "the choruses seem to speed up a bit", or "I wonder if that guy is using heel-toe to do those awesome bass drum triplets"... they're feeling elated, or melancholy, or excited... or maybe they're just not liking the song at all.

While technique (or lack therof) comes into play during the creation of the song, if the song connects with the listener, then the technique, however primitive or developed, is "good" technique.

Great post but I fear it will fall on deaf ears in this forum.

• Members

Originally posted by Actionsquid

The problem is when we forget that the ultimate test of the music we make is when it hits the ears (and hopefully, heart) of the listener. And the vast majority of listeners aren't thinking "
I
could play that drum part", "the choruses seem to speed up a bit", or "I wonder if that guy is using heel-toe to do those awesome bass drum triplets"... they're feeling elated, or melancholy, or excited... or maybe they're just not liking the song at all.

Preach it bro! Music has the power to touch people's hearts and in some cases inspire entire generations. In light of that kind of power; conversaitions about which drummers suck and which ones rock seem kind of crazy.

• Members

Last few posts are interesting. I never thought Meg White was all that bad. She gets it done. Its not Portnoy, but she keeps the beat (most times) and thats all she needs to do. If shes good enough for Jack, shes good enough for me.

By the way, Shes not Sheila E in the looks department, but in the words of the Great Willyray, Id hit that. Definitely. Shes got nice Toms.

• Members

She's also has her own band. Awesome.

She is also the daughter of Santana's percussionist from the 70's, Pete Escovido (the E in Shiela E), along with her uncle Coke Escovido. Gee....I wonder how he got that name? Hmmm......

:D

Or was it Coke that is her dad, and Pete is her uncle? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by the DW

She's also has her own band. Awesome.

She is also the daughter of Santana's percussionist from the 70's, Pete Escovido (the E in Shiela E), along with her uncle Coke Escovido. Gee....I wonder how he got that name? Hmmm......

:D

Or was it Coke that is her dad, and Pete is her uncle?
:confused:

There you go! I didnt know she had her own thing going on. Is it a latin kind of thing, dance, rock, funk?

Archived