Brass Snare Drum Sound?

SpeedKing

• Members

Originally posted by SpeedKing

What is the difference between say a brass snare drum and a maple? (speaking about DW's)

Brass is higher in pitch and ringy, and a lot louder fundamentally than maple, which has less overtones and a more controlled, woody sound (naturally, hahah) I have played both and own 2 DW brass snares. I prefer the brass snares because they produce ridiculous volume and awesome tone, which suits the rock and metal I play. The maple collector's snares are great too, and very versatile, especially for recording. If you want the best of both worlds try a DW 'edge' snare which has both brass and maple in the shell...

• Members

Buy the quietest snare you can. The snare and cymbals are the parts of the kit that cause problems both on stage and out front. The best tone in the world is nothing but a curse if it's so loud that everything has to be turned up just to be heard over it.

• Members

Originally posted by TimmyP

Buy the quietest snare you can. The snare and cymbals are the parts of the kit that cause problems both on stage and out front. The best tone in the world is nothing but a curse it's so loud that everything has to be turned up just to be heard over it.

No such thing as a 'quietest' snare. If you play lightly, it will be quieter than if you played it loud. In my experience, usually the guitar player is the one who doesn't know that he's deafening half the crowd with his ego.

Dunno what your post has to do with the original question though..........:confused:

Archived