In effort to prove a point.

Cerpin T

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i think i agree with kmd_97 as their is no such thing as a better drummer IMHO, however their is such a thing as a sucsessful drummer. those guys are the ones playing all the time in ten different bands because they can play anything fast or slow. i think that is what makes agreat musician, and what is my long term goal.

• Members

Originally posted by mparsons

How fast are you, if you don't mind telling?

My band has songs where I am playing 16ths at 300bpm with my feet... and we play it faster live.

That being said, I still stand by my statement that it's two very different kinds of hard.

Playing at those speeds is hard... but then I also struggle with playing a good halftime shuffle, and pretty much anything Purdie does is enough to make me want to throw my sticks up in frustration.

• Members

Playing fast crazy double bass and fast notes with hands is an awesome thing i love watching drummers who do that. I beleive that most people love that because it is showy and neat. When you hear most drum solos there is a good portion where the drummer goes bonkers on the drums playing as fast as he/she possibly can musically and sometimes not musically. Personally i like to see and hear that because it is showy and interesting. Myself i try to play fast and crazy ike that due to it being fun and showy for live shows. I have lots of respect to drummers that play a mix of fast playing and technical or whatever you want to call it.

• Members

I can see both sides of this one.

I'm a jazz guy, and I value listening skills, sensitivity and touch above all else in my playing.

BUT...

If the singer's screaming his guts out, and the guitars are distorting, and the audience is jumping up and down and smashing into each other, and the guys in the black and yellow "SECURITY" shirts are getting edgy, then 16ths * 300bpm is the musical choice.

My favorite all-time drummer is Steve Gadd, but I don't think he belongs on stage with Rage Against the Machine.

Also, I once heard a jazz combo with a trombone for pete's sake, do Oleo at well over 300. I listened back to the tapes and figured they were pushing 360. Now, was he able to comp well, and play all sensitive-like? I don't think so. Was it thrilling? Hell yes. Am I going to work on finesse before I try to play bebop at that tempo? Um, you better believe it.

I think my contribution to this thead would be to suggest that anybody who thinks there's a greatest living player, without taking into account genre, is probably on a fool's errand anyway.

Also, can't we all just get along?

;)

Archived