Playing In Music Shops

acombmusicman

• Members

I do not know if this is a load of bull, but apparently the Performing Rights Society in the UK is going to ask musical instrument retailers to have a licence for public performance. This is in case any customers trying instruments strum a few bars of anything recognisable, and therefore copyrighted. How many times have you heard the first few bars of Smell Like Teen Spirit, or Smoke On The Water in a guitar shop?

Is this an old one, or should shop owners be worried another pen pushing clipboard johnny with no dick has come up with a scheme to extract more money from hard pressed retailers.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

• Members

Sadly, it is true.

Here's the story

I'd disagree that it's technically OK.

These are not public performances. No one would pay to see them, or even watch them for free. They don't represent any lost revenue for the writers.

The shop owner doesn't have any control over what the customers play, so he can't implement a "no PRS repertoire" policy. As soon as one kid attempts Stairway he's liable for the whole annual license.

It's just more money in the pot for the same old acts who get playlisted on national radio. Deep Purple, Led Zep and GNR won't see the lion's share of this cash because music shops don't get sampled (Radio One is sampled 100%).

This is just the PRS following the other rights gougers down the money-grabbing road, and it's another reason not to join... unless you're Robbie Williams.

• Members

The reasoning seems to be that the shop is a public place.

But the UK is the home of bizarre licences. We also have the Digital DJ License (for DJs who copy their tracks onto a laptop or iPod - that's a phono license, the venue must also be licensed and some DJs are also licensed) and the online publishing license (JOL) which charges stores for 'performing' the track to you as you buy (download) it - that's in addition to the dupe part of the license.

By some oversight there's no license for a CD to be performed across the counter when you buy it in a shop though... yet.

• Members

And I thought the laws in the US were messed up. Before long every cover band will have to pay a fee to play. (banging head against wall)

I once had a songwriter give me verbal permission to cover his stuff as long as I didn't record it. A few years later when he was looking at a record deal he withdrew it. never mind that lots of people were exposed to his songs thru my band and we always gave him credit ( his own act was full of covers). we just quit playing his stuff.

Archived