Help with 7/8 patterns

kenm

• Members

Hi All,

My band has been playing a song in 7/8 for a while mostly based on a 1212123 subdivision. Our pianist reworked some of the parts so they go 1231212 instead. I am having trouble breaking the habit of playing the first and coming up with new parts for the second. Any tips or resources you recommend?

Thanks!

Be well,

Ken

• Members

The way I see it, you've got two options. The best option is the woodshed. You need to spend a few hours at your kit going Da-du-du-Da-du-Da-du to break that 223 feel out of your hands. Practice makes habits, and it also breaks habits. It's just a question of time.

The other option, if you don't have the time to practice this stuff away is to try to make it into an interesting polyrythm.

You'd have

Da-du-du-Da-du-Da-du

over

Da-du-Da-du-Da-du-du

And if you voice it right on the drums, it might be possible to turn this negative into a positive. 1 will always hit together, but you'd have this mud in the back half of the measure that you might be able to make something interesting with. Obviously depends on lots of other stuff, as to whether or not this would work.

My primary recommendation is still to just put in the time to learn it the other way.

/w

• Members

It sounds like you've gotten into pre-programmed mode which is a dangerous place to be if the composition hasn't been completed. Get that sucker onto tape and listen to it until you know the groove again. Better, I think, to write with the composition in mind than write in a silo.

I guess another option might be to start your pre-programmed groove halfway through the measure. Maybe start with a 3/8 fill of some sort and then play as normal until the end of the passage and add 4 to split the difference.

• Members

Originally posted by swilder

I would try a pattern something like this:

kick - 2 - 3- snare - 5- kick - 7

Listen to some sting CDs. He's a master at playing over odd times and making it sound as natural as 4/4

Vinnie Colaiuta on "I Hung My Head," comes immediately to mind.

Also, I agree with Willy Ray on the woodshedding and on the polyrhythms. I suppose I just agree with Willy Ray.

• Members

Originally posted by kenm

Hi All,

My band has been playing a song in 7/8 for a while mostly based on a 1212123 subdivision. Our pianist reworked some of the parts so they go 1231212 instead. I am having trouble breaking the habit of playing the first and coming up with new parts for the second. Any tips or resources you recommend?

Thanks!

Be well,

Ken

I just posted this in another odd time thread and I think it bears repeating here. Some of this has been covered so pardon the redundancy.

Get a metronome that will do specific meters. Try 5, 7, and don't forget 3 beats per measure. (Yes boys and girls, 3/4 is an odd time signature.)

Count in twos and threes.

For instance 5/4 would break down to:

(2/4 + 3/4)

OR

(3/4 + 2/4)

----------------------------------------

7/4 would break down as:

2/4 + 2/4 + 3/4

2/4 + 3/4 + 2/4

3/4 + 2/4 + 2/4

------------------------------------------

Make sure you get all these do-hickeys down as they are fundamental to the western variety of meter.

:wave:

• Members

Thanks folks.

I got to practice early and worked out a few things. I think it will include a tom pattern with an on the beat off the beat kick drum pattern, which if the band can handle will be pretty cool.

Ken

Archived