drumoff

danny0816

• Members

danny0816

thanks guys. As long as i know it isnt just me being a woman about it...

hey, thank you danny, for having the huevos to get up there and compete, and bitch about your results on this forum, and embrace misogynist attitudes. you rock! :thu:

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by rockbeat

The judge that tore into you showed a real lack of professionalism by his comments. Don't let it bother you. Cudos to you for going for it, though. Now, having said that-screw a bunch of drum competitions. Music is an art, not a sport. Drum-Offs and things like that are nothing but an ego-fest IMHO. I couldn't care less what a drummer can do in one of those wank-offs. It's what you can do within the context of song as a member of a band that matters. Don't worry about it. Winning some drum competition has never been a prerequisite to being a good drummer, or even making a living as a drummer.

Exactly what i was going to say, who cares if ur the best soloer in the drumm off , u dont have the most fun with drums doing that, it all matters about ur creativity and how u put songs together with a band, dont listen to the judge, he probably is insecure about his own playing, so he likes to bash others.

• Members

To andissarian:

-it is weird that you made a point to

1)make a comment about this as your FIRST post,

2)track this down and try to make me feel dumb

and 3) not respond when people call you out on it, BUT

perhaps i was wrong. He didn't say it only to me, he said it to the general audience i never meant to confuse those lines, and make it sound like he spoke only to me. But i felt like he spoke ABOUT me. i am speaking about the one white man who spoke last. Each of the other judges commented on originality and diversity in playing. And i agree. But then he got onto how this is only for professionals and whatnot. Basically, in my mind...and agian, its possible i was defensive and mistaking what he was saying, BUT....1)he repeated everything that the other judges had said, only in a much more negitive light. I dont think anyone needed to make anybody feel "special" like we were retarted pre-schoolers. But a "thank you for coming out" would've been nice. I think the lady was the only one who managed to get that in. Baiscally...i made an effort...put basically my entire self-confidence on the line...and had it shot in the face.

also...isnt music subjective. Define "great". define "great technique" or "feel" or "groove" or "soul". or "music". Because someone's definition may be entirely different then your own. Does that make that person inncorrect; or perharps...does that void YOUR opinion?? certianly not. There are standards in a compition, there need to be, but they were harsh words for such a subjective topic.

If you are the judge (and i kinda hope you are...) then im sorry i did not live up to your expectations. I played what i felt. To win, i should have hit more cymbals. I was in my basement (where i belong, right?) doing single stroke rolls and hitting lots of cymbals, and sounded like everyone else out there. That wasn't my goal. I played what i did for a reason, not to make noise. I kinda thought that was a goal anyway.

If you are not, well i apprecaite you trying to clear things up. Although im wondering; did you play? or only come to make me feel dumb? know the saying life is not a spectator sport...someone could say that life is like a concert; you either stand in the audience or chose to play. Even if i suck...i decided to play. my sayings may also be cheezy....but im ok with that :):thu:

Im sorry that this is your first post...I really have enjoyed this site, and hope it'll be a great source of encourgment, oppertunity, and knowledge for you, as well as for you to share what you know or think. most of the guys on here are great...i think they just got defensive. If they scared you off...come back and give it another shot. It'll be worth it.

anyway, thanks again guys, and God bless :)

-Dan

:thu: :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by theFoot

hey, thank you danny, for having the huevos to get up there and compete, and bitch about your results on this forum, and embrace misogynist attitudes. you rock!
:thu:

:rolleyes:

Hey foot;

if you bothered to read the whole post and not just quote a part that fit...i asked a question. If people had told me i was out of line and never should have competed, and this judge had every right to say that i never should've come out, then i would've shut my mouth. but hey, theres this really cool thing on here. If you dont like what i have to say...

block me.

• Members

danny0816

thanks guys. As long as i know it isnt just me being a woman about it; that this guy really was out of line...i feel better. My basic feeling now is, if he needed to attack a 19 year old to make him feel like a better player...then he probably really isnt much of a player. I like the comment "drumming is an art, not a sport." Maybe when im dead...my drumming will be legandary

MPF, congrats man, thats awesome. Glad some of these are going better then others. Thinking back, it was cool to see, and i had a good time (till the end). Next year is your year man...time for the superbow....i mean....

thanks again guys

Hey foot;

if you bothered to read the whole post and not just quote a part that fit...i asked a question. If people had told me i was out of line and never should have competed, and this judge had every right to say that i never should've come out, then i would've shut my mouth. but hey, theres this really cool thing on here. If you dont like what i have to say...

block me.

There's the post. Where's the question?

Anyway, to the pont of my post. It's not that I don't like what you have to say, and generally I don't care about how you say it, and I wouldn't want to block anyone's posts (censorship, yikes!)...

BUT what you said struck me not as a funny phrase like "...{censored}ed your dead mother...", but more as a latent attitude that showing emotion, or needing reassurance is "being a woman". As mentioned is a thread somewhere else in here, it's not the phrase you use, it's the attitude behind it. Why would "...just me being a woman about it..." be bad? That's really gay!

I think jetlag and these smelly old English hotels are making me grumpy. I guess I'm kicking a man while he's down.

Look, there is no excuse for the judge to be a asshole, that's true ...and you had the nuts to get up there and complete. That's good. Too bad it didn't work out. What you've found is that this is a really supportive forum, and people will chime in to help each other out. You've only got 80 posts, and people are coming out supporting and encouraging you. That's a really cool thing.

I've had my ass handed to me, and I expect it'll be handed to me again. The key is to take that energy and get back to the woodshed. Either go back to the competition and kick ass, or go do something else with your drumming. (Personally, I don't see drumming as a competitive sport.)

• Members

hey foot;

sorry, i was tired last night after a long day of school/work.

I see what your saying...and i never meant it in a negitive light. Its a term that friends and i overuse way to much, and should probably stop. I was just surprized when you got offended.

In the original post (very first one starting this thread) i asked if the judge should've been that harsh. Not should i have won, or "am i a horrible drummer" or anything like that. I have never done a drum compition, never seen one, and wasn't sure what to expect. Looking back, i probably would'nt have entered into one which i had never seen. I also got chosen to go first, lucky me. But i don't regret play. If nothing else, it gave me experience dealing (poorly...admittedly) with people cutting me down. I appreciate your comments...just....relax a little :)

I do appreciate everyone's support, like ive said before. Thanks guys...its awesome

• Members

Hello all again in Drumland!!

I wanted to set the record straight:

1. I am not one of the judges, I was in the audience.

2. I am friends with two of the judges.

3. I came across this forum post by happenstance, not because I was searching for anyone to start an argument with.

And I remember that Danny who was the first kid was so nervous he jumped off of the drumkit after playing for about 30 seconds!

One of the judges went and told him to relax and start over!:eek:

Danny, I know that it is very nerve-wracking to get up in front of an audience and do your thing. But the judges aren't there to belittle you or mistreat you.

We are all brothers and sisters in the drum world, and sometimes constructive criticism should be used to prepare for the next round.

But I was there and none of the judges said that you sucked or you should go back to your basement.

Not that I heard anyway!;)

Anyway, like it was said in earlier posts, go practice and kick those judges in the ass with your musical drum skills in 2007 dude!

Later

D

PS. This is my last comment on this subject, I have drums to play!

• Members

andissarian, thanks for the words of encourgment. Maybe it is just how i heard it...but i heard it very distinctly. Either way, its in the past. I dont know if ill compete in 2007...or again. It was to focused on...the simple, safe aspects. One kid played with his hands...that was like, earth shattering in the compition. BUT...thanks again for your support.

and trust me..you'll try to get out of this....you cant (ie - i should be getting ready for class...instead i was downstairs :-/)

If you ever see me around gc (idk if ill be there, BUT...) feel free 2 come up and say hi, its always cool to meet fellow drummers (i wont jump you i promise.)

God bless

• Members

Don't even think about not playing because some nobody decides to insinuate that your playing doesn't meet his standards.

To be honest with everyone when did drumming become some kind of sport. I would never enter any drum off contest of any kind.

All you get at those things are drummers with big inflated ego's and attitudes that want to show off for their girlfriends, wives and friends. Its the hey, look at me. Im great. It has nothing to do with driving a band, playing in the pocket and playing for the song. I can never figure out what playing single stroke rolls at 300 bpm for a minute has to do with anything.

Instead of having these drum off's, they should have a contest to see who can play simple in the pocket beats and hang with a click track or sequence and play for the song. Lets see who has enough discipline not to over play and just play what you have to play.

Have a great day and keep on drumming.

• Members

Originally posted by danny0816

In the original post (very first one starting this thread) i asked if the judge should've been that harsh. Not should i have won, or "am i a horrible drummer" or anything like that.

It's all about expectations.

You expected to be given constructive criticism in an encouraging atmosphere.

This judge may have expected that only the most serious of drummers would enter.

Sounds like you both got pretty miffed about not having your expectations met.

Judges don't exist to stroke egos. They're there to give an opinion. It's just an opinion.

You can take it or leave it.

• Members

excellent point about the judges expectations...never considered it that way. Thanks.

I like the concept of having a contest to see who can play with a click the longest. No fills, no triplets, just straight quarter beats.

I think id lose...but im gonna go home and do that now

Archived