Help with drum tuning in north Seattle area

Mark Blasco

• Members

I have recently purchased a set of star classics, and I would like to take a lesson or visit a store where I can learn more about tuning the drums to get the most out of it. I am just not getting the sound that I am looking for. Does anyone have suggestions on a good drum shop or teacher where I can learn about drum tuning? I am north of Seattle, but would be willing to travel a bit for some good info/experience.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Mark Blasco

I have recently purchased a set of star classics, and I would like to take a lesson or visit a store where I can learn more about tuning the drums to get the most out of it. I am just not getting the sound that I am looking for. Does anyone have suggestions on a good drum shop or teacher where I can learn about drum tuning? I am north of Seattle, but would be willing to travel a bit for some good info/experience.

I would look into the Don Benett drum studio.

:wave:

• Members

Check out local recording studios. Familiarize yourself with their product. Develop a working awareness of the cats they use. Drummers, engineers, techs etc.

Check out professor sound, (links all over this forum - someone'll probably drop one on you) and see what you can manage on your own. :wave:

• Members

If I remember right, there is a DVD that covers tuning only, and does it fairly well. Good enough to get you started. I've heard guys that have bought it, that new their {censored}, and they said it was pretty damned good. You might want to do a search for it. It should be on a place like MF.

• Members

Originally posted by cheeseadiddle

If I remember right, there is a DVD that covers tuning only, and does it fairly well. Good enough to get you started. I've heard guys that have bought it, that new their {censored}, and they said it was pretty damned good. You might want to do a search for it. It should be on a place like MF.

There are actually a couple of tuning videos. To me, the one worth spending money on is the Bob Gatzen one. It's really excellent.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. I am actually getting a decent sound out of most of my drums, and I do have the Gatzen tuning video. I really am the type of person who learns best by observing someone else, and I thought that I would have the best luck if I sat in with someone where I could ask questions during the process.

• Members

Originally posted by ArtVandelay

There are actually a couple of tuning videos. To me, the one worth spending money on is the Bob Gatzen one. It's really excellent.

Yep.....that's the one I have. Got it some years ago. Its a good begging and very in depth. I practiced what he preached for awhile but then I just went back to my old ways. Which is............never satisfied! ;)

Archived