Any ideas for ghetto rigged cymbal stands?

mparsons

• Members

Long time ago, I used to hang with a guy who built his own practice shack; carpeted, everything. One of the clever things he did was to hang cymbals from the rafters. He used that half inch house wiring stuff. Just a simple knot to hold the cymbal.

• Members

Originally posted by 1001gear

Long time ago, I used to hang with a guy who built his own practice shack; carpeted, everything. One of the clever things he did was to hang cymbals from the rafters. He used that half inch house wiring stuff. Just a simple knot to hold the cymbal.

that was most likely 12/2 Romex, w/ground.....of course, when after rehearsals at gig-time, the rafter might prove to be a 'weighty' accessory?.....'fair-quality' stands can be purchased, most likely, for about the price of a month's payment for the internet?

even, one cymbal stand, with an attachment arm, for second cymbal......or, one stand, with a cymbal stacker....

• Members

what's wrong with cheap cymbal stands? By the time you make something that doesn't work very well out of discarded junk, you could probably afford to spend $20 per stand for some generic stuff that you'll eventually have to support with duct tap, OR get some used stuff from somebody who just bought a rack.

Bottom line, you don't want to wreck your cymbals by having them fall off something that you made out of coat hangers and scrap wood.

• Members

Good luck on your new venture. Used hardware can be found usually at your local music shop pretty cheap, considering that new hardware usually doesn't go much above $175 or so. If your serious, I recommend Pearl or Yamaha hardware, I still use some of mine thats almost 20 years old. As for higher end stuff which really is only about 25-50 dollars more, I really recommend DW 9000 hardware, especially the multi-stand, really heavy but just the strongest and best there is, and can really clean up your set up. Also, gibralter also makes good hardware, and don't forget DW 5000 series hardware which is more than reasonable for the overall professional quality. By the way, you should not be paying more than $100 for a used piece of double braced hardware, common folks, its hardware, not drums and cymbals, probobly the most affordable and highest quality drum gear you'll ever buy.

Archived