So how do you trigger a kick drum?

mparsons

• Members

Originally posted by nklarow

They're both the same thing. You tack the trigger to your drum, then run either and XLR or 1/4" cable to a drum brain, then assign it a sound to make. I hear good thing of the Alesis D4.

Exactly. I use Ddrum Pro bass drum triggers into an Alesis D4. Works great for me!

If you look at this shot, you can see the DDrums clamped onto my bass drums. You can't see the brain but it's on the far side of my set next to my floor toms.

room4.jpg

• Members

If all you want are the kick drums, you could go with an SPD-S and two triggers... it's only got two trigger inputs (well, one stereo one, but that can be split to two mono for your kicks), but it'd let you upload the kick sounds you wanted instead of relying on premade samples on the drum brains. Drum brains that allow you to upload samples to them tend to get... well, really {censored}ing expensive.

Not that the SPD-S isn't real expensive either, but at least it's a sampler, and has pads on it to {censored} with, too. ;)

I still don't know why there's not a simple box with 1/4" jacks and an SD card reader or something similar to use for a basic triggering unit. No velocity sensitivity, etc... just "get signal play MP3" functionality.

• Members

Originally posted by mparsons

Is there any way to make a computer act as a drum module?

How much/Where can I get a D4?

Thanks!
:D

I would imagine there is a way to do it through midi but I wouldn't know how to do it.

eBay would be the place to get a D4 (also check out the DM5 which is the newer version of the D4). When you looking at D4s, make sure to ask the seller what version the software is before you buy it. You want 1.04. Mine came with 1.01 and it didn't have a lot of the features I needed to use triggers. After some searching around I did find a place that sent me a chip to upgrade mine.

• Members

Originally posted by nklarow

Yeah, but I hear that the DM5 isn't as good as the DM4, but that's just what I've heard from other people. Don't take my word, I've never used them...

I actually thought and heard the DM5 was an upgraded version of the 4.

Anyone know?

• Members

I don't know, but there was a thread a while back, someone said that the D5 had more electronic and less acoustic sounds, and that it was really hard to upload samples, and some other bad stuff about it. But I've never used any of them so don't take my word...

• Members

Originally posted by trickcooley

I actually thought and heard the DM5 was an upgraded version of the 4.

Anyone know?

The DM5 is newer, I don't know if I'd say upgraded because they both have the same basic features. I have a D4 and my buddy uses a DM5 and I actually prefer the D4. I just like the samples in it better. Both will get the job done though.

Archived