Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion 6pc for 700 bucks? :0 My mini review...

fesswrx

• Members

Originally posted by jakes

Hi

Lovely Kit. I just got the same one and have a few questions for you.

Do your rack toms buzz when you hit them. Mine seem to have a vibration from the suspension mounting. When I look closer, they only seem to be resting on a couple of the rubber pads - not all. Have you noticed this?

Also, the resonant-side hoop of my larger rack tom has a slight kink in it. It's slightly out of round. Do think this is going to have an effect on the drum?

And lastly, what heads do you find work well with it?

cheers

Jakes

My rack toms do not buzz at all. Those 4 ruber pads are suppose to support the drum on the rims mount. Are you sure you have them mounted correctly?

I don't know what you mean by kink. The hoops are Tripple flanged stamped. If you think one is out of round I would get a new hoop.

As for heads I use Performance 2's on the batter side and still use the stock reso heads. They have a nice punchy sound and are still a bit open. I do some home recording with them so I don't want them to be too open. If your going to be gigging live with out a big PA setup I would go for a 1 ply head.

• Members

I like the look of the hanging ride. Does it ever tip?

And I like the finish, compared to the other "Aqua" type finish they advertise on that kit.

I guess you like the whole kit to be "flat"? Do you ever hit the rim on the rack tom?

• Members

Assuming you're talking to me --

Does it ever tip?
Nope. The arm is always parallel to one of the legs. We played a show where the bassist got his cable caught under the leg of the stand and it went down pretty fast, though! It's very stable as long as they're parallel with each other; move it four inches either way and it'll fall. Unfortunately that stand doesn't get low enough to have it sit "normally"... though I suppose it'd be just as (un?)stable that way.

Do you ever hit the rim on the rack tom?
Yeah, I do, occasionally. It sits pretty low, as you can tell from the picture... and if you look, I play with the hi-hats really high (almost up at the top!), so I'm used to playing pretty high... if I had the hats low I imagine I wouldn't be able to move to the tom without smacking the finish. ;) Honestly my biggest problem with the setup is that if I'm really laying into the ride cymbal I'll occasionally smack my hand/wrist/knuckles on the rim of the floor tom... but I can't lower the tom anymore without it being uncomfortable, and I don't like to raise the ride up (I'm pretty short, so it all sits relatively low).

I prefer everything sitting flat, though I do angle the crashes a small amount just to make sure I'm not hitting them at the edge. The rack tom is angled the tiniest amount, too. Everything else is as flat as it'll get. I think it looks better with the finish, since it's got stripes... plus, since everything's sitting so low, it just kinda makes sense to me.

• Members

Do you post videos of yourself playing underoath covers, and you're old set used to be a green set, with some of the drums missing bottom hoops??

If so i think i've seen your videos, it's all good but your crashes are SOOO high compared to the rest of your set (not in this picture though) that you seem like you're a preacher lookin up to god when you hit em, lol.

• Members

Nice... I like the whole setup BTW.

I have my rack tom on a snare stand, but to accommodate the "deadening" of the drum, I used these neat little Pearl things that go over the rubber on the ends of the basket, and then it raises the drum up an inch or so, while not having the twist the thing to raise it up as much.

• Members

Originally posted by theDan

Do you post videos of yourself playing underoath covers, and you're old set used to be a green set, with some of the drums missing bottom hoops??

If so i think i've seen your videos, it's all good but your crashes are SOOO high compared to the rest of your set (not in this picture though) that you seem like you're a preacher lookin up to god when you hit em, lol.

Again, if that was for me: I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'd love to see the videos if you've got links to them!

Originally posted by nklarow

Nice... I like the whole setup BTW.

I have my rack tom on a snare stand, but to accommodate the "deadening" of the drum, I used these neat little Pearl things that go over the rubber on the ends of the basket, and then it raises the drum up an inch or so, while not having the twist the thing to raise it up as much.

I thought about using a snare stand, as it'd mean I could take the clamp off my cymbal stand so it'd fit in my bag with the rest of the damn stands... and I've got an extra snare stand... but I have the tom sitting over the kick drum by a fair amount. Don't know if it's work that well. I might still try it one day though. Ideally I'm trying to move everything over to a rack setup, just trying to find a rim mount for the 16" floor tom. I love the look of the kit with all straight stands but it sucks to have eight stands to move around (crash/tom, crash, ride, splash, zil-bel, roland pad, snare, hats) plus legs for the floor tom!

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Again, if that was for me: I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'd love to see the videos if you've got links to them!

Yeah that question was directed toward you. Here's an accurate video, I swear you guys look almost identical with the same set. What are the odds?!

• Members

I thought about using a snare stand, as it'd mean I could take the clamp off my cymbal stand so it'd fit in my bag with the rest of the damn stands... and I've got an extra snare stand... but I have the tom sitting over the kick drum by a fair amount. Don't know if it's work that well. I might still try it one day though. Ideally I'm trying to move everything over to a rack setup, just trying to find a rim mount for the 16" floor tom. I love the look of the kit with all straight stands but it sucks to have eight stands to move around (crash/tom, crash, ride, splash, zil-bel, roland pad, snare, hats) plus legs for the floor tom!

Yeah, I had thoughts about the rack tom being too far away from its normal positioning. But after I set it all up, I was amazed by how good if felt; you should try it sometime, I really think you would like it. Just don't choke the drum, it sounds terrible. Rather, set the drum on top of the rubber pads, then clamp down. I know I'm keeping it like that.

• Members

Hahaha, I kinda had a feeling you guys weren't the same person, because you've been a member here since 2001, which means you've been here for longer than he's been playing, cause he sucks.

Don't be too sure about that... I've only been playing for a little over a year and a half now! ;) I wouldn't dare post any video of me playing on YouTube. The best I've got is a promo video for one of the bands I'm in... and there's definitely nothing impressive in it drumming-wise. I definitely took the "the best way to learn is to put yourself into a situation where you'd better {censored}ing learn fast!" approach and jumped in with an established cover band within three months of starting to play (and owning my first kit)!

• Members

It's quite good for only 1.5 years, but i guess you joining a band that early contributed to that.
:thu:

Ha... well thanks! :) I primarly listen to really heavy stuff, which meant that for the first few months I was focusing strictly on double bass and quick little tom rolls. I still suck with rolls, but I can double bass at almost 900 strokes per minute, which I'm pretty proud of since I picked it up within probably the first nine months.

Anyway, it appears I've threadjacked the hell outta this one. Maybe it's time for sleep. ;)

Archived