Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion 6pc for 700 bucks? :0 My mini review...

fesswrx

• Members

Ok, well let me first start by saying I have been looking for a new kit for about 6 months now. My Export has served me well but is 8 years old and beat up pretty bad (one too many stands/drunks falling on it while playing out) It still sounds ok but I'm in a new band so a fresh start = a new kit. (good excuse eh?)

I always wanted a maple kit, that warmth just sounds too cool to me but I just never seem to have that 1500-2000 bucks left after the bills are paid. Until I saw THIS kit last weekend. At first I thought to myself "this thing must be held together with rubber bands and duct tape for that price". After some thought and consulting the wife it was decided I should go for it. All I can say is I'm damn glad I did! This kit is a fantastic value IMHO.

I come home tonight to find FedEx had been here. I carry the boxes to the studio and open things up. It was very well package and no damage in sight. I get everything unwrapped and I am just so blown away by the finish on this thing. It truly looks like a $2000.00 maple kit. I put it all together with the stock heads (except the bass drum, had an extra SK2 and regulator) and did a good once over tunning (thanks you drum dial), set it all up and go to town. It sounds damn impressive even with the stock heads. It is warm, yet open and projects way more than my Export did. Does it sound like a 3500.00 Yamaha Absolute Maple?, no but it doesn't sound like a 700.00 kit. I am going tomorrow to pick up a set of skins and I am quite sure it will sound even more impressive once the stock skins are replaced.

The snare really impressed me as well, it seems very well built. It is very warm but still gives once hell of a crack on rims shots. I wish it had cast or wood hoops but instead has stamped (though they are Tipple flanged like the rest of the kit) I guess you can't have it all for this price. Overall I still can not believe I only paid 700 bucks for this kit. I think Gretsch hit a home run with this time. This will be the first kit (my 3rd overall) that I am ordering gig bags for. It sounds great and looks sweet, I want to keep it that way.

If anyone is looking for a gigging kit, or even a primary kit (novice or advanced) I would give this one a look and listen.

Two thumbs up Gretsch :thu: :thu:

• Members

Great choice! I had the catilina maple and loved it. I only sold it to make room for my Mapex Saturn kit. But, you will enjoy the Gretsch. For the money it's awsome. The construction of the kit is great. They save money buy using Japenese maple which is softer and less expensive than the N. American maple found in higher end kits. But come on, still a great drumset.

Great color choice, enjoy you new kit!!

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

that kit looks fantastic. glad you're so pleased!

please enjoy responsibly: if you're gigging it, get hard cases. really.

Yup I learned that from my Export. It has more dings and scratches than I can count.

• Members

Since the subject is Gretsch, I dug up an old picture of the Gretsch kit I "gave away", so to speak. Long story...

oldkit.jpg

Not sure which model this is though. I got it used in the mid 80's. The snare is a Ludwig Supraphonic, circa 1972. It went with the kit.

:cry:

• Members

Originally posted by WillyRay

Shell pack, eh? How much of the tom mounting hardware was included? Mounts but no stands? Would you give a full run-down on what was in the package OTHER than the drums themselves?

/w

Well W, other than the 4 Toms, 1 snare, 1 kick and skins; it came with legs for the 14 and 16" toms and GTS Rim mounts for the 10 and 12" toms. Other than that, no stands, no snare stand or any other hardware. So I guess it is a bit more than a pure shell pack (meaning just the drums but not much more. I have all that stuff anyway so still an awsome value in my eyes...

peace....

• Members

Originally posted by the DW

Since the subject is Gretsch, I dug up an old picture of the Gretsch kit I "gave away", so to speak. Long story...

oldkit.jpg

Not sure which model this is though. I got it used in the mid 80's. The snare is a Ludwig Supraphonic, circa 1972. It went with the kit.

:cry:

awww...... Hey thats a nice finish on that kit as well.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi

Lovely Kit. I just got the same one and have a few questions for you.

Do your rack toms buzz when you hit them. Mine seem to have a vibration from the suspension mounting. When I look closer, they only seem to be resting on a couple of the rubber pads - not all. Have you noticed this?

Also, the resonant-side hoop of my larger rack tom has a slight kink in it. It's slightly out of round. Do think this is going to have an effect on the drum?

And lastly, what heads do you find work well with it?

cheers

Jakes

• Members

Man that is a wonderful drumset!! :thu: I've been looking into getting it myself lately, but with my recent Christmas spendings, I don't think I'll be getting it for a while :cry: But hopefully I'll scrape up the cash to get one of those beauties.:love:

Archived