Being scouted...!

• Members

So my band is being scouted by the biggest independant publishing/management company in the UK. We've met up with them twice and showcased our live set to both A&R guys and the company directors and their reaction has been great, especially from their in-house producer who's recorded people like Razorlight and Art Brut (for all you UK forumites who know these guys!).

They're basically telling us they want to help develop us by supplying us with some rehearsal space, helping us build a business team (i.e. manager, lawyer, live agent etc), and to demo some songs and play out supporting some bigger bands in "proper" venues.

Thing is, it *does* all seem a bit too good to be true... any advice/recommendations on how to play this situation? Even though it's a fairly grass roots-run company and they're nice people, I'm very wary of being {censored}ed up the ass both financially and creatively.

So, any suggestions? Anyone been through this sort of thing before and lived? :)

• Members

I agree that you should hire your OWN entertainment lawyer to look over this initial deal, someone that is only looking out for your own interests.

But this is really not uncommon- in Nashville many times a record label will do a "demo deal" with aspiring artists to get them polished up performance wise and to lay down some real tracks in a real studio just to see if given that small investment there is a larger commercial appeal that warrants further investment.

Good Luck-

B

Archived