bass heads

tmetaler

• Members

Superkick 2 on the dw kit, PowerStroke 3 on the Yamaha.

If you wanna hear what a PS3 on an 18" bass drum sounds like, check out the "inexpensive kit" thread. There's a sound clip on there with my Rydeen 18" BD. PS3 on batter side, stock Yamaha reso on front, non ported.

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

hope you guys realize this is the only reason drums and drummers exist...

Amen, brother. That's why I like playing in bands with female lead singers. Even if nobody else is shaking it, the singer will, and I have a front row seat, and can control the tempo!

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Trying something different when I change my heads on my kick next month. EMAD 2-ply on the batter side and a Fiberskyn Medium on the reso side, ported. I can't find anyone else using this combination but it "seems" like it'd work really well to me. Guess we'll see, worst case is that one sucks with the other, which isn't a giant financial loss.

that is the EXACT set-up i use on my bass drum. It's {censored}ing ace!! I've never been good at getting a good bass sound, but using the Emad batter and Fibreskyn on my 22x20" Gretsch Renown Maple cannon of a bass drum i've actually never heard anything better. and anywhere i do a gig or a recording, the sound guys are always blown away by it. in fact, when many of the local drummers record, they ask if they can borrow my bass cause it's better than anyone else's going around.

To make it the best bass drum ever i'm going to do it with the same sort of graphic Buddy Rich used...

http://www.izaak.unh.edu/images/nhltj/rich.gif

except, instead of "BR" in the shield, i'll have "CF" for my band's name, Crimson Flames. this should look absolutely mega on the Fibreskyn.

Anyone got any suggestions for what sort of paint i could use to do it with?

• Members
Originally posted by Jesse_Wray

that is the EXACT set-up i use on my bass drum. It's {censored}ing ace!! I've never been good at getting a good bass sound, but using the Emad batter and Fibreskyn on my 22x20" Gretsch Renown Maple cannon of a bass drum i've actually never heard anything better. and anywhere i do a gig or a recording, the sound guys are always blown away by it. in fact, when many of the local drummers record, they ask if they can borrow my bass cause it's better than anyone else's going around.

To make it the best bass drum ever i'm going to do it with the same sort of graphic Buddy Rich used...

http://www.izaak.unh.edu/images/nhltj/rich.gif

except, instead of "BR" in the shield, i'll have "CF" for my band's name, Crimson Flames. this should look absolutely mega on the Fibreskyn.

Anyone got any suggestions for what sort of paint i could use to do it with?

Know what's funny? That's kinda what mine looks like, except ported, and it's a Gretsch too, with a 22x20 bass drum as well --

HalfShell006.jpg

When I put the Fiberskyn on there, I'm gonna do the exact same look to it, except without the Gretsch logo; I'll put the band's logo on the stripes, kinda like you had posted there. Definitely keeping it ported, though.

Crazy coincidence!

As far as doing the graphics... just get a sign shop to cut out some vinyl for it. The weight of something that small on thin vinyl is negligible, and it might affect the resonance of the head, but not enough to ever be noticed in my opinion. Paint is gonna do the same thing I'd assume, too (though that would weigh even slightly less).

Shouldn't cost you more than a couple bucks to have a local place cut out some stripes and a logo, though. We do them at work, so I just use the scraps to make mine. ;)

Archived