Aqua needs some help

aqualung211

• Members

It's more than likely to be cheaper to convert my acoustic kit than to buy an electronic one.

I'm totally clueless in this subject so....What do i need?

Triggers, brain, mesh heads....that's it....right? I'm hoping that with all a' these i'll be able to plug in headphones or even rock a theater with them...right?

Do triggers come with cables?

If i'm missing anything, feel free to let me know...please.

Also, what triggers do you use or what have you heard about certain products? I.E. Roland>DDrum or some {censored} like that. Any help appreciated.

• Members

I can't be of much help on the subject, but I do believe you have to purchase the cables seperate from triggers.

Are you planning on triggering cymbals or using live ones? If you're triggering then you'll have to pick up some cymbal triggers/pads. Whatever they're called. I think the Roland dual-zone ones that are also chokeable are around 80 bucks.

• Members

Always heard the ddrum triggers were best. Would clip on mesh heads. Might want to get some rim protectors as well to cut down on rim hit noise. If you can score a used ddrum4 module as well you'll be in business. (great sounds, much more realistic than Roland imho) What are you doing for cymbals?

Patrick

• Members

+1 on the ddrum triggers. After that, I'd start by cruising e-bay for a used roland kit or module.

The nice thing about the ddrum triggers is that you can pop 'em right off and slap on some of those Aquarian heads you like so much :D if/when you get a gig and want to play acoustic again.

Hell, if it were me, I wouldn't even be THAT picky in getting the right module up front. Sounds like this acoustic/e-drum conversion isn't what you REALLY want to play long-term (if it were, I'd be suggesting getting a top-of-the-line e-kit with all the bells and whistles), but instead just something that'll allow you to play in your new place (based on memory of other posts of yours ;)).

Since pretty much any decent module will have a few decent sounding kits on it so you can practice, I'd be a bargain hunter.

To me the BIGGER problem is gonna be cymbals. I have yet to hear an e-cymbal that comes close to the real thing in terms of feel and response, and using "real" cymbals isn't probably a good option. Still, if the other option is not playing, you gotta do what you gotta do.

• Members

+1 on the ddrum triggers. After that, I'd start by cruising e-bay for a used roland kit or module.

The nice thing about the ddrum triggers is that you can pop 'em right off and slap on some of those Aquarian heads you like so much
:D
if/when you get a gig and want to play acoustic again.

Hell, if it were me, I wouldn't even be THAT picky in getting the right module up front. Sounds like this acoustic/e-drum conversion isn't what you REALLY want to play long-term (if it were, I'd be suggesting getting a top-of-the-line e-kit with all the bells and whistles), but instead just something that'll allow you to play in your new place (based on memory of other posts of yours
;)
).

Since pretty much any decent module will have a few decent sounding kits on it so you can practice, I'd be a bargain hunter.

To me the BIGGER problem is gonna be cymbals. I have yet to hear an e-cymbal that comes close to the real thing in terms of feel and response, and using "real" cymbals isn't probably a good option. Still, if the other option is not playing, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Actually i think i'd be able to get away with the cymbals. It's not difficult for me to play soft, and cymbals don't have that sonic boom that travels from apartment to apartment. And in terms of what i REALLY want, if a triggered kit can sound like a quality e-kit, then i'd rather use a triggered kit.

So...do triggers come with cables?

• Members

So...do triggers come with cables?

Probably not, but there's very little difference in that area. You don't need the "special copper shorn from magical metal sheep" or anything. Just avoid the REALLY cheap ones, and the ones that claim magical powers, and just go for the middle of the road.

Of course, you could also learn to make your own cables....but unless you're going to be buying lots of 'em, or need another hobby, I'd just buy whatever is on sale.

I think different triggers take different cables (some take 1/4", and if my memory is correct, ddrum's take XLR cables). Then you've got the inputs on the module, which are probably 1/4". Depending on the combo of triggers and module, there may be 2 or 3 different types of cable combinations, so make sure you get the right thing.

• Members

This was my same questions aqua, but you got more response. Guess nobody loves me:( Anyway, please let me know what you come up with and I will do the same. So far the Alesis D4 or D5 is the cheapest option as far as a module goes, some come as a package with ddrum triggers. the D4 is a little cheaper then the D5 because the d5 is a newer model. Also, they are all rack mount from what I have found, so that problem needs to be addressed. They don't come with cables, and from the experience I had with an e-kit before, you will want to get varying lengths. If you have an 8" tom right next to the module, you don't need a 6' cable running to it. My cables were all the same length and it made a mess. The cables are pretty cheap, as are the mesh heads. I have no clue how durable they are but if they last a long time then the 'double what regular heads cost' price is not bad. I have wondered about the triggers being sensitive to different pressures. Can you hit it light and then heavy and get different tones from them? Do build ups and things like that is what I am wondering. Anyway, hopefully we can help each other out on this one.

Archived