Any Jazz Players in the House?

bbderek

• Members

So at jazz rehersal, we had Wes "Warmdaddy" Anderson play with us and show us some stuff. He tore the crap outta my playing. I've prolly learned more from him than anyone else, and he's a sax player!

(If you dont recognize the name, he played w/ Winton Marseles for at least 8 years in the Lincoln Center Orchestra and spent Christmas at his house. And if you dont know who Winton Marseles is, well then u have no hope)

So anyway, raise your hand if youre a jazz player!

• Members

It is what I listen too in my car. I thought about putting a small ride cymbal just under the ash tray but something like my 21" custom dry ride just would not fit.

I was jamming with some friends on someone else's kit Sunday night and I tried two different times to get them to play something to a jazz ride triplet pattern but it seems many folks that play bass and guitars well don't seem to be able to come up with much to a jazz beat. (could have been that B8 ride though)

I switched to a Bossa Nova and they were able to jam right in then back to the 4/4 standard beats.

I recommend getting a DVD from www.stevekorn.com He helped me with the drop stroke and the ability to do much better rolls.

• Members

It is what I listen too in my car. I thought about putting a small ride cymbal just under the ash tray but something like my 21" custom dry ride just would not fit.

I was jamming with some friends on someone else's kit Sunday night and I tried two different times to get them to play something to a jazz ride triplet pattern but it seems many folks that play bass and guitars well don't seem to be able to come up with much to a jazz beat. (could have been that B8 ride though)

I switched to a Bossa Nova and they were able to jam right in then back to the 4/4 standard beats.

I recommend getting a DVD from
www.stevekorn.com
He helped me with the drop stroke and the ability to do much better rolls.

Not being too critical here, but I would think your bass player could learn to walk the bass in a fairly short time.

• Members

I'd be demeaning real jazz drummers if I called myself one.

That said, I can sit in on drums or percussion with real jazzers and, if (certainly) not at the level of Smitty Smith, at least not stink up the joint. I can even comp guitar changes on the simpler stuff, as long as they don't expect too many clever substitutions.

• Members

I'll raise WillyRay's hand for him.

:D

Thanks. The magic smoke escaped my laptop last night. I think I'm about to become a statistic in the "PC user switched to Mac" column. In the meantime, if anybody wants to post on my behalf, please feel free. "Willy would tell you to go play the drums yourself before you buy.", "Willy usually tells people to make transcriptions.", "Willy would think you're bein' an asshole." :thu::)

• Members

I like...er... does loud jazz count? I tried jamming with this little group (electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic piano) the other day, and no matter what I did on their crappy, poorly/un tuned kit (I need to get pictures of this poor little Gretsch for you guys - we need some kind of abuse case rescue unit), I could not play quiet enough to hear them :( I'm sure part of this is the whole "metal drummer" thing... But I was definatley playing particularly soft. I dunno. I enjoy all the jazz stuff at high volumes, too. All the same to me.

• Members

Put away those marching warclubs you normally use (presumptive of me, eh? lol) and get some 7As or lighter. You'll notice they are easier to play softly - AND can still deliver very loud hits where wanted.

I like...er... does loud jazz count? I tried jamming with this little group (electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic piano) the other day, and no matter what I did on their crappy, poorly/un tuned kit (I need to get pictures of this poor little Gretsch for you guys - we need some kind of abuse case rescue unit), I could not play quiet enough to hear them
:(
I'm sure part of this is the whole "metal drummer" thing... But I was definatley playing particularly soft. I dunno. I enjoy all the jazz stuff at high volumes, too. All the same to me.

• Members

I started on jazz drums, which was 10 years ago. I do the big band and the combo stuff. In my city, combo stuff is great for one-off "background music" gigs and big band doesn't really have a dedicated outlet. The real money is in my corporate party/wedding dance cover band.

But I'd give it all up to play in a kick-ass rock band.

• Members

I'm a jazz drummer, as well as a blues/rock/C&W drummer. I took lessons in jazz and pursued it very seriously in college and post college days. I took lessons from Steve Houghton and Ron Fink and Rick Latham. I can play small group or big band. I've sort of moved away from it because it's harder to play and it's harder to find people to play with. Plus when you play it, people kind of dig it yeah, but not near as much as they do after a few brewskis and they fill the dance floor when you play "Mustang Sally" or "Jonhy B. Goode" or something like that. Although I don't practice it or do it that much anymore, I can still hold my own sitting in at a jazz jam. I play with more of a straight ahead style sort of like Art Blakey or Colin Bailey as opposed to the "hide the beat" style of a Philly Jo Jones or Elvin Jones or Jack DeJohnette.

Still, if I could pick any style to play, it'd be big band swing with those 6 page charts with shout choruses. On the who would you play with in your wildest dreams thread, my first choice was with the "Count Basie Orchestra". But those opportunites are hard to find in my neck of the woods. But, I'm always lookin'.

• Members

Put away those marching warclubs you normally use (presumptive of me, eh? lol) and get some 7As or lighter. You'll notice they are easier to play softly - AND can still deliver very loud hits where wanted.

Actually, I do play with 7A's. I think I'll have to pick up some rutes or something.

Archived