Floor Tom Sound Remedy PLEASE!!!!!!

jacoe99

• Members

I use Emperors on all my toms, but on the second floor tom I use the emperor thats been on it for a while (its used) and it sounds so but awesome for a second floor tom cus if I tune it ridiculously low and tap it very lightly with my finger it hurts my ears cus its SOOOO low lol but I like it.

But that brings me on something that really makes me mad, almost to the point to remove the second floor tom. The other tom with that % head" sounds good, but the other one with the emperor however, I cant the gong sound out of it...no matter how tight I tighten either head it just never go's away. Is ther a remedy for this? Would switching to a Pinstripe on that tom help?

• Members

I use Emperors on all my toms, but on the second floor tom I use the emperor thats been on it for a while (its used) and it sounds so but awesome for a second floor tom cus if I tune it ridiculously low and tap it very lightly with my finger it hurts my ears cus its SOOOO low lol but I like it.

But that brings me on something that really makes me mad, almost to the point to remove the second floor tom. The other tom with that % head" sounds good, but the other one with the emperor however, I cant the gong sound out of it...no matter how tight I tighten either head it just never go's away. Is ther a remedy for this? Would switching to a Pinstripe on that tom help?

Explain the "gong" sound that you are hearing,also,how are you "tuning" the head,tighty,loosey?

• Members

Explain the "gong" sound that you are hearing,also,how are you "tuning" the head,tighty,loosey?

it sounds like a beginners drumset like CB or something with a crappy plastic sheet single ply head tuned low. If u can imagine that...ya

as for the tuning, I want it really low and "beastly" lack of a better word hahaha but I've tried tuning it in all ways tight top loose bottom, tight top tight bottom, loose top tight bottom, loose both heads...like everything :freak:

• Members

Is it a square tom? It won't have the timbral quality of an 10 no matter how you tune it. I think the best examples of the floor tom zone are the old calf headed swing sets, Bernie Dresl with those fiber calf whatever they are, Steve Gadd with Hydros... even a crackly detuned ambassador can be EQd to a very satisfying, resonant, thud; down in kick drum territory basically.

• Members
Is it a square tom? It won't have the timbral quality of an 10 no matter how you tune it. I think the best examples of the floor tom zone are the old calf headed swing sets, Bernie Dresl with those fiber calf whatever they are, Steve Gadd with Hydros... even a crackly detuned ambassador can be EQd to a very satisfying, resonant, thud; down in kick drum territory basically.

This is true!:rawk:

• Members

I used to get that result from my 1960s - era Ludwig maple set with the reinforced bearing edges. No matter what I tried, the floor tom went BOING instead of BOOM... as did the entire rest of the set (except for the SupraPhonic snare, which I still own :D).

Some drums simply will never sound good. And the build quality or collectibility could have little bearing on that.

it sounds like a beginners drumset like CB or something with a crappy plastic sheet single ply head tuned low. If u can imagine that...ya

as for the tuning, I want it really low and "beastly" lack of a better word hahaha but I've tried tuning it in all ways tight top loose bottom, tight top tight bottom, loose top tight bottom, loose both heads...like everything
:freak:

• Members

I had the same problem with my PDP 14" Tom and after almost pulling out my hair, I finally realized that it was only 1 lug on my reso head that was giving me a sound that I didn't want. It took a long time to figure out what was up. Try going around the lugs on the reso side 1 at a time 1/4 of a turn at a time. After turning 1 lug, if it doesn't change it, return it to its original position. Continue this until you find the culprit. I hope this helps. Good luck.

• Members

..to add to my earlier post.....I like the sound I get from my FT...even, when re-tuning is required, due to different club/room sizes....just something that always catches my attention.....since I'm very content, with the way it sounds..(yes, it took much time, back and forth adjusting the batter...adjusting the reso).......regardles, EVERYTIME, I find that 'sweet' spot....i still notice, just a bit of 'slight' wrinkling......anyone else, play, with a wrinkle in their head?.....it's usually only at one lug, that I notice it...and I just overlook it, since I get the 'boom', that I desire?!??!:blah:

• Members

Dude, Moongels.

I know man I tried but they keep falling off obviously its cus there old and were just stored on a table in plain air for months but still I wanted to know why the tuning of it was so messed up and unfixiable like at my church they have a gretsch kit with a coated evans g2 on the batter and it sounded awesome quite low pitched and boomy like I want it

Archived