Mid-80's Tama Swingstar

Rimshot500

• Members

Mid-80's Tama Swingstar

Anyone know any info about these kits or where to find info. My dad gave me his for Christmas. It is a silver/gray wrap I believe.

The wood almost doesn't even look like wood on the inside of the kit. Maybe it is a composite or fiber of some sort. Anyone have any ideas. You can't really see and physical plys in it. Weird. Particle board maybe?

Sounds great. Really boomy and bassy. Any suggestions?

• Members

I can help. I have an 83 swingstar. The best swingies were built in Japan and have the Tama "T" logo around the air vent. They are made of Mahagony and probably wern't the best looking drums so they coated them on the inside with a "zolacoat" of some kind.

They are great drums and still sound better than a lot of newer drums. Consider yourself lucky...nice snag.

• Members

Good to know. I remember going to the music with my mom to buy these drums probably around '85. They were for Christmas for my Dad. While at the store, I saw a junior kit and begged my mom for it. She said no.

Christmas morning, my dad and I went into the living room and BOTH drumsets were there. My mom suprised me by buying the junior kit also Great Christmas! Lots of great times jammin' with my pops.

• Members

My first kit was a black set of Swingstars back in 1983. Great drums for the price. The coating on the inside was probably there to hide some ugly wood more than anything else....not sure if the claim about "enhancing projection" was marketing BS or not.

Good drums. My toms are living at my sisters nowadays, and they still sound pretty good with the old pinstripes I put on 'em.

• Members

My first kit was a black set of Swingstars back in 1983. Great drums for the price. The coating on the inside was probably there to hide some ugly wood more than anything else....not sure if the claim about "enhancing projection" was marketing BS or not.

Good drums. My toms are living at my sisters nowadays, and they still sound pretty good with the old pinstripes I put on 'em.

• Members

One good turn deserves another.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Does anybody know what wood was used in a Tama 1986 Swingstar SS8000 series drumset or 1986 Beatstar kits? These kits have a finished interior of natural wood, rather than the standard zola-coat?

I have a swingstar badged kit that is identical to the 1986 Tama Beatstar de luxe kit, while the 1986 SS8000 swingstar kit has the words Tama printed down the lenghth of each drum in huge letters, which my kit does not have? but is identical in every other way?

• Members

Does anybody know what wood was used in a Tama 1986 Swingstar SS8000 series drumset or 1986 Beatstar kits? These kits have a finished interior of natural wood, rather than the standard zola-coat?

I have a swingstar badged kit that is identical to the 1986 Tama Beatstar de luxe kit, while the 1986 SS8000 swingstar kit has the words Tama printed down the lenghth of each drum in huge letters, which my kit does not have? but is identical in every other way?

Never seen a beer keg used as a floor tom before. Innovative!

What heads do you like on it?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Whoa. Hold on.

What year do I have?

TAMAlogo.jpg

set1.jpg

Tom Holder

Omnilock.jpg

Didn't come with bottom hoops/heads.

set2.jpg

Ludwig 1968 Supraphonic Snare... right?

Snarebadge.jpg

1968supra.jpg

Snare stand.

Snarestand.jpg

Crappy Crash

Crashcymbal.jpg

I bought the set from a guy on Craigslist in Feburary. He was leaving for the Navy, so he let it go for $220.00.

Came with:

Toms - 12", 13"

Floor Tom - 16"

Bass Drum - 22"

1968 Ludwig Snare w/ WFL snare stand

Pearl P122TW Double Bass Pedal

Crappy Crash and Ride Cymbals 16" and 20"

Premier High-Hat Stand

14" High-Hat - same brand as other cymbals

Cowbell

One Pacific cymbal stand - can put two cymbals on it

Two Wuhan Cymbals China and Splash

Blue Paiste cymbal bag

Pacific throne

And I think that's everything I got for the $220.00.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Again, it didn't come with any bottom hoops or heads for the Tama set. :confused:

I don't know too much about drums, so yeah...

Mind telling me what the heck I have? :facepalm:

The way I set it up may look weird. I dunno. I just put it together and played.

I have a small room with a crap load of huge stuff in it, so I used what space I had.

What should I add to it?

• Members

You can visit the Tama Forum for lots of good info on them.

I had a set of 1988 Swingstars and they served me very well for many years. The internal coating is called "Zolacoat" and was allegedly to enhance the sound. Others say it was used to hide hide the basswood shells. Regardless, they sounded great with a decent set of heads and tuning.

Here's pics of my Swingstars before I sold them.

• 11 years later...

Archived