Playing in front of....

bbderek

• Members

So the jazz band is playing at this jazz spectacular at Mich State University this sat. We're playin in front of and going to be critiqued by the jazz professors. This means I will be playing in front of Randy Gillespie. He's one of the jazz greats of drumming so I'm pretty excited to be gettin feedback from him. Also a lil nervous knowing that he's probably gonna tear apart my playing and the rest of the rhythem section. But it's gonna be sweet! I'll let ya know how it goes afterwards

• Members

well, im in highschool so I don't know exactly what ya mean there. We're playin tunes such as Salt Peanuts, Straight No Chaser, Southside Swingers, and a few others if that helps? I guess, what do you mean by figures

• Members

well, im in highschool so I don't know exactly what ya mean there. We're playin tunes such as Salt Peanuts, Straight No Chaser, Southside Swingers, and a few others if that helps? I guess, what do you mean by figures

'Figures' refers to the rhythms, words phrases, stylistic cliches, what have you. The style and licks in this case.

It's jazz. Forget the judges. Play how you know. Play how you are.

• Members

I feel your pain. I think it's a TON more difficult to play in front of a small group of people who are paying close attention than to get up in front of a large but much more anonymous group of people.

Of course, if you get too uptight, you'll tense up and suck horribly (not to scare you...). So you need to keep 2 things in mind:

1.) confidence: right or wrong, you're playing and they're watching, so it's up to you to really feel like you can nail everything you're going to play. Not becasue it's hard....but because it's easy and you've done it a million times. Your mindset needs to be, "Hey you judges, check OUR {censored} out!". This "positive" frame of mind will free you up physically, whereas negative thinking will just make you more tense. So get yourself pumped up about how you guys are going to absolutely kill in this environment.

2.) Use this confidence to have a good time with it. Make eye contact with the judges, and SMILE at them....especially this Gillespie character! Hell, try to laugh at something just before you start...whether it's a joke with the bass player, or yourself almost knocking over the drum throne as you get behind the kit. I've heard about scientific studies that prove that the simple act of smiling (or better yet laughing) sets off a whole range of positive physiologcial chain reactions that make you more relaxed, aware, etc. Sharing a smile with the judges also serves to break down that 'barrier' between the audience and the performers. And don't forget to KEEP smiling and making eye contact with the judges and other performers during the performance.

Finally, remember that the judges aren't looking for you to perform at the same level of an all-star professional jazz ensemble. They aren't expecting Max Roach to show up and play the drums. They're expecting some high school kid to show up and do his best. With that in mind, I highly doubt that they'll rip you no matter what you do. Their job is to provide positive criticism. Telling you to quit the drums won't accomplish anything (plus it's too late for that). On the other hand, if they point out that you rushed or dragged in certain spots, or missed a cue here or there, it's all meant to make you better. So look forward to having REAL professionals critique you rather than the typical "friends and family" reviews you probably normally get (i.e. "You sounded soooo good....we're all sooooo proud of you!").

Just go kick this gig right in the @ss and have a blast doing it.

• Members

I think Old Steve had some great advice. I had a similar experience when I was in college.

We had Manyard Furgusons and his band come in for a Master Class than concert. As part of the master class, the Manyard's band watched our entire set and then critiqued and made suggestions.

The questions commens MF's band made were in the open so it left a lot of people very uneasy. They guys were very complimentary, but also very honest about what could have improved.

When it came down to me, Maynard looked over at his drummer (David Throckmorton was his name) and said "Fire Away". He was very complimentary about my playing in general. However, he said he had one big problem...and that was my Ride sound. He felt I needed to select my equipment better for the situation.

I was a broke college kid... I didn't have an endorsement or money...so if that's the "worst" he can come up with, I felt I was in decent shape.

Either way though, take any comment (good or bad) as constructive. Those guys do it for a living and know what it takes to make it. 9 times out of 10 they are exactally right one what you need to do to improve.

Good luck and just have fun with it.

Danny

• Members

Steve, once again DOES have some of the best advice. I played with the Towson State jazz ensemble in college. Every year, we had the Kenton clinic come in for a weeks worth of workshops and concerts. I had a great time meeting and playing with all the heavy jazz players from the band, including a 21 or 22 year old guy named Peter Erskine. I have to tell you, the biggies (the true biggies...not the ones who are legends in their own minds) really care about fellow musicians. And when they judge, it's never a personal issue...any critiques will always be about how to improve your abilities, techniques or your thinking. They will never be the "get off the stage and let real musicians show you how it's done. You know why? because they've probably been in just your situation before and know how it feels.

So smile, maintain your professionalism, BE YOURSELF, and have fun! And then maybe some day, the chairs will be turned and you'll be sitting in their seat, offering the same types of suggestions to the next generation of wannabes...

AND PLAY FROM THE HEART, not necessarily from the intellect. It's artform...not a documentary...

Archived