DW dating

jedistar

• Members

anyone here know if there is a serial numbering system that can help determine date of manufacture for DW?

any other drum dating info appreciated..

for my hobby site....cheers

Unless you have a 'born date' stamped in black inside the drum shell, it is difficult. A serial number will only give you an estimate. I have a pre birth dating dw kit with keller shells and after emailing dw, they could only estimate its date of manufacture as 'early 90's'. My other dw kit has 'aug 2006' stamped inside the shells.

• Members

My DW kit is from the same era. I think the badge color/metal type can give you a hind at it's age, but it's not exact by any means. I know my DW's have a gold/brass badge with black writing. Prior to that I think they had silver badges with black painted writingk, but I could be wrong. During the keller era they only had the "kit/order" number inside the shell of each drum, as well as the serial number on the badge. Once they started making their own shells they started with the born on date, and then things get much easier. Or something to that affect. Hope that helps.

James

• Members

My DW kit is from the same era. I think the badge color/metal type can give you a hind at it's age, but it's not exact by any means. I know my DW's have a gold/brass badge with black writing. Prior to that I think they had silver badges with black painted writingk, but I could be wrong. During the keller era they only had the "kit/order" number inside the shell of each drum, as well as the serial number on the badge. Once they started making their own shells they started with the born on date, and then things get much easier. Or something to that affect. Hope that helps.

James

My kit is similar to yours, I think mine is older though. Hexagonal vents, Mine originally had black badges with silver writing, with the DW logo and ' a quality instrument, made in usa' with a serial number etched at the bottom. there is nothing stamped inside any of the shells. I sent all the serial numbers and pics to dw via email and they couldn't really tell me much about it... I swapped the badges (a couple were scratched) as they don't sell badges, to avoid people building fakes. John Good from DW told me they will replace worn or damaged small parts like this if you mail them the damaged ones. They were very helpful..

• Members

Yah, mine has the hex vents too. As far as the numbers inside the shell, they are between two of the screws for the lugs, and I think they are the same on all the drums. My badges are I think made out of brass, with black paint. I can't think of the specific wording on the badges, they are at my studio so I can't check them right now, but I'm pretty sure that they are the same as the logos on their shirts and has. "hand crafted drums","made in the use," and they have the serial number at the bottom. I'll try to remember to check them tonight when I go play.

James

• 12 years later...

Hi Gary - welcome to Harmony Central! :wave:

What are the dimensions of your snare? That will probably help the forum members to better identify it. EDIT - never mind - I see it's a 5" deep, 14" snare... :0

Have you tried contacting DW and asking them? With the information you have available, they may be able to tell you more about your snare, such as the model name. 

http://www.dwdrums.com/contact/

Archived