Finally!!!

Rob64

• Members

I finally got my credit card in the mail, so now the first purchase is going to be a new snare to replace my 3x13 ludwig piccolo.

I'm looking to spend between $200-$300. Something semi-deep like 5.5 inches by 14. Something that has a very crisp pop and something that I won't have to replace in a year. All suggestions much appreciated :cool:

• Members

I finally got my credit card in the mail, so now the first purchase is going to be a new snare to replace my 3x13 ludwig piccolo.

I'm looking to spend between $200-$300. Something semi-deep like 5.5 inches by 14. Something that has a very crisp pop and something that I won't have to replace in a year. All suggestions much appreciated
:cool:

I'd recommend a wood Slingerland 5.5 x 14. I've seen them in local mom and pop type music stores for around $250. I don't know the model name, but they have die cast hoops and are covered in drum set type covering like marine pearl or red sparkle or something like that. I have one and it rocks. Very sensitive and can pop when tuned up to a slightly tighter than medium tension.

Better yet, cut up the credit card and get one you can afford to pay cash for. Save up for it if you have to. Most drummers have a whole closet full of snare drums. Ask you buddies and find one someone will unload for like $25 or something if you have to. If it's tuned well, it should be servicable unless it's total crap.

• Members

yeah, im a little different than most drummers when it comes to buying equipment. although there's a bunch of stuff I want, I only buy things i feel are necessary. A snare that will last me is one thing that I need asap in my eyes. What kind of wood is the slingerland made of?

bumppp

• Members

What kind of wood is the slingerland made of?

I have no idea. Here's one similar to what I'm talking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/Slingerland-50s-5-5x14-One-Pc-Shell-Radio-King-Snare_W0QQitemZ160132472619QQihZ006QQcategoryZ64436QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I got mine for Christmas in 1972 and it's still going strong and as good as new. Actually better, because I can play it a heck of a lot better than I could in 1972!

• Members

Better yet, cut up the credit card and get one you can afford to pay cash for. Save up for it if you have to. Most drummers have a whole closet full of snare drums. Ask you buddies and find one someone will unload for like $25 or something if you have to. If it's tuned well, it should be servicable unless it's total crap.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!! CUT that thing up, Live on what you make. Quit going out to eat for the summer and then you'll have the CASH to pay for it. On Credit you'll pay alot more for the thing in interest and having plastic only makes it that much easier to put more crap you can't afford on it.

You can do whatever you want, but I wouldn't use credit. If you don't have the money to pay for stuff now, how are you going to have the money to pay the bill later?? Don't fall for the hype!! Life does NOT take Visa!!

Visa and all credit companies have guys that do nothing but think of ways to appeal to you emotionally, fearfully, and any way they can that you NEED plastic to live. BS!! They even try to make it seem like a sin if you use cash (where the guy pulls out money and everybody in line stops, so what if you hold up the damn line! It's your money!) Play with snakes and you will get bit! 10 years from now, you'll be trying to buy a house and all that credit debt will come back to haunt you. Please check out DaveRamsey.com if you want to know more.

Okay, I'm done, good luck with the snare. I like the old used Ludwig Acrolites and Superphonics. Excellent snares!

• Members

haha i agree and have all the info on going overboard on credit cards, but the only reason i opened one is to start building my credit. not to go nuts and buy whatever my heart desires lol.

• Members

haha i agree and have all the info on going overboard on credit cards, but the only reason i opened one is to start building my credit. not to go nuts and buy whatever my heart desires lol.

Yeah, as long as you're careful, it's good to put a few things on it each month. It builds up your credit, which makes it easier to get good deals on houses and cars, etc. later.

The key is being CAREFUL, and never going overhalf of your spending limit if possible.

Have fun with the snare. :thu: I'm in the market for one as well, but I haven't done much serious considering yet.

• Members

I'm looking to spend between $200-$300. Something semi-deep like 5.5 inches by 14. Something that has a very crisp pop and something that I won't have to replace in a year.

Something like the most recorded snare in history?

• Members

Save your money, buy one used, that way when you decide the hype wasnt worth the price, you can still get out of it what you have into it. Singature Snare drums are bull{censored}. Theres really very little different from anything else they sell in the same line and finish.

• Members

+1,000,000 on the credit card stuff. Your initial quote is music to Visa/Mastercard's ears...."I don't have the cash, so I'll charge it!!!" It's a great trap, and they catch millions of people in it every year. You spend $200 on a snare, pay off $100 of it promising that you'll pay off the rest next month. Then you don't have cash on you at the movies, so you put a movie ticket, popcorn, and a soda on the credit card. Now your balance is $120 (plus the interest you pick up). No big deal, right? Gas up the car....oops, there's another $40. Now you're up to $160. The bill comes and they slap $10 worth of interest on there and you owe them $170. The minimum balance is only $15, so you send 'em $50 and promise to pay off the rest next month. Before long, the "little purchases" add up and you're keeping a rolling balance and paying interest for stuff you already own.

Get an American Express card...they make you pay off the whole thing every month. Either that or just get a checking account with a debit card.

Finally, if you do use a credit card because you want to build up credit, pay the WHOLE thing off every month. Your credit rating will go up, and you won't dig yourself any holes.

• Members

You guys are making me tear up...for real! It's so good to hear sensible cautious thinking...I'm shocked. Not because I think you guys aren't conscienctious. More like I'm surprised to hear this type of thinking from anyone except us old farts. I applaud you all. Rob64, I don't know your age, but you might want to save up the money first, start up a equipment acct at your bank, deposite the money into a checking acct. Make your purchase with a credit card, but pay it off immediately. This takes REAL discipline but it does work. You'll build a good realtionship with your bank, you'll have some credit purchases to build your credit history and you won't incur any interest charges on the card by paying the whole amount immediately, and you may even earn a couple of pennies interest on your checking account that you can use towards your next purchase. It only works with the parameters I mentioned. Don't spend beyond your limit...it only creates hassles later...good luck with your purchase...

• Members

haha, i love how this turned into a full discussion about credit cards. Maybe I should have provided some back story. I'm turning 20 this year, so I finally gave in to signing up for a credit card because I want to build my credit. I have the money to pay for the snare in my debit account so I'm going to pay it off in full. But I want a new snare to go through my credit account.

So now that everything is all cleared up on the credit end of it. Lets hear some snare suggestions? :D

p.s. thanks for the heads up, i've avoided getting a credit card until I learned that I had to use one to build my credit.

• Members

I'm playing hardcore/punk so I need something thats poppy, but I already have a piccolo and need that depth sounding pop that a piccolo can't provide. I just got done recording my drum tracks so it's going to be for live performances and for future recording. I need something that really screams.

• Members

well... hat damn, i am a funk man... so i use a tama piccolo... droped 500 on it... for punk... look into yamaha, and stay away from wood shells... brass or steel... like this...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-Kabuto-Steel-Snare-Drum?sku=447046

quick edit: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ludwig-Brass-Snare-Drum?sku=447758

• Members

This is the drum I'm talking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SLINGERLAND-SILVER-SPARKLE-SNARE-DRUM_W0QQitemZ270137644235QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64436QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are actually 2 like it for sale now for under $50. This drum will work in about any situation. I've used mine in pretty high volume rock, jazz, C&W, blues and it has never let me down. A very versatile drum. The die cast hoops make for excellent cutting rim shots.

• Members

This is the drum I'm talking about:

There are actually 2 like it for sale now for under $50. This drum will work in about any situation. I've used mine in pretty high volume rock, jazz, C&W, blues and it has never let me down. A very versatile drum. The die cast hoops make for excellent cutting rim shots.

great drum... but he is in a punk band... could it get the right sound for punk?

• Members

I have a maple Ludwig 3X 13 piccolo and i wouldn't part with that thing for the world.... I have my snare drum and to my knowledge I know of no other snare on the face of the earth that i would prefer more.

It's a great place to be ... because I could pay more....but i couldn't possibly buy better. IMHO

• Members

great drum... but he is in a punk band... could it get the right sound for punk?

I don't see why not. While punk is not my style per se, I'd think you'd want something loud and cutting which this drum certainly is. At the volume level and rauchy sound punk is usually played at, I'd think any drum that you can hear and doesn't get lost would be good. This drum would be loud and not get lost, especially if you played a lot of rim shots. It also has a very versatile tuning range.

I see that you proposed a metal drum. I personally have never liked metal drums. I find the wood much more cutting and giving a better sound on rim shots. But then again, whatever works for you ... ...

• Members

Basically the piccolo snare doesn't sound too hot on recording so that's why i'm in the market for a new one. Plus I want a choice depending on how I feel. I might look at those older snares. Any other suggestions? :]

Archived