trading out wooden bass drum hoops for a metal ones?

• Members

Would that make a discernible difference in sound? It would probably grip the pedal better but I don't have a problem with that now that I get some Iron Cobras (suck it, DW!).

I'm just curious if it would help things project more/be louder? Or would the difference be too minimal?

Guest Anonymous

Hoops make an impact on the sound of a tom or a snare. If you don't believe me, start changing yours out for 1.8, 2.0, 2.3 2.3 COB, S-Hoop, Die Cast varieties, Wood varieties... You'll notice differences between all of them. But on a bass drum, it's probably more aesthetic.

• Members

The cast hoop being stiffer and heavier than other types is less prone to interact with the drum's vibration. Hence the claim probably. My primary snare drum is fitted with cast hoops and seems to produce more 'thock' than my cheapos with the regular flanged stuff - which tend to clang more.

Maybe. :D

Guest Anonymous

The hoop vibrates on a drum. Different materials give off different sounds when they vibrate. Ever clamp a 12", 13" or 14" tom in a snare stand instead of mounting it on a bass drum mounted tom mount? What happens when you tighten the snare stand down on the reso hoop?

• Members

I swapped a wood hoop for a metal one on my bass drum as well, and I honestly noticed no difference whatsoever in the sound. Now, the hoop is more durable, I can put my foot on it, clamp it tighter with my bass drum pedal, and not worry about it being damaged (since the metal hoop was free).

So yeah, go for it! Just not on the reso side, because that's where it's pretty. :)

• Members

I swapped a wood hoop for a metal one on my bass drum as well, and I honestly noticed no difference whatsoever in the sound. Now, the hoop is more durable, I can put my foot on it, clamp it tighter with my bass drum pedal, and not worry about it being damaged (since the metal hoop was free).

So yeah, go for it! Just not on the reso side, because that's where it's pretty.
:)

Fitchy...You back from beyond the big water?

Archived