Thoughts on my "call for bandmates"

u6crash

• Members

I put out an ad in the local newspaper today which will run next week, that asks for potential bandmates contact me. In the ad I included this link to my webpage with more details. What do you think of it? Is it too much? Not enough? Is there something more I should say?

http://www.threechordme.com/band/

Any suggestions would be great.

• Members

I clicked on your link expecting several sentences introducing yourself and putting forth your ad.

There's, frankly, too much information in there and I stopped reading about mid-way through.

Personally, and others may disagree, but all of the detail you put in there would tell me, as someone looking for a band, that you're not amenable to spontaneity and a but controlling.

Not saying you are, but that's how the mountain of text struck me.

Pare it down to state your age, location, musical influences, intentions and what instruments you're looking for.

The details will work themselves out later.

I also caught a couple of typos. You might want to run it through a spell check.

Good luck!

• Members

I think the shorter the musician wanted ad is, the better it is. I find the more detail you put in the more likley people will not reply. If you are reading a large ad, and like it, but dont think you meet one requirment, you probably wont reply. I usually go with short succict ad (three sentences at MOST), and get lots of replies, and then weed out from there. For example:

"acordian player needed for new polka band. We are just starting out, but we are all very dedicated. Ages 18-85 accepted. Contact: polkaband@hotmail.com"

its short, simple and will atract more attention then you want. Then you can weed people out from there. I have discoverd that the best musicians are often the most humble, and if they dont see a 'perfect' fit, they wont reply. By making the ad general, you will get many more replies, which gives you many more options.

Have Fun

Ben

Archived