Evans or Aquarian?

qwertyMan

• Members

I'll be getting new heads kind of soon, and was wondering the differences between Evans' G2's over G1's and Aquarian's Response 2's over Classic Clears.

Aparently the Aquarians are easier to tune and are about the same price.

Will the sound they both give me be about the same?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll be getting new heads kind of soon, and was wondering the differences between Evans' G2's over G1's and Aquarian's Response 2's over Classic Clears.

Aparently the Aquarians are easier to tune and are about the same price.

Will the sound they both give me be about the same?

Aquarians are easier to tune?

I suppose that is a matter of HOW you tune. If you meet one of two conditions, the aquarians are easier to tune.

1. You have butter edges on your drums instead of 45 degree edges. You see, the aquarians have what they call a sound edge collar. This will fit perfectly on a butter edge because the drum is rounded and the collar fits perfectly over it. On bearing edges, the collar will get pulled straight and destroy the shape of the sound edge anyway.

2. You finger tighten your heads to tune them. Again, this has to do with the sound edge. If you aren't putting enough pressure on the hoop to pull the sound edge straight, the heads almost tune themselves.

However, if you have bearing edges and tune your drums up with any sort of tension, then the aquarians are not any easier to tune than other heads.

• Members

I've been very happy with Evans heads since around 1990, when I discovered them. (The stores where I lived didn't carry much outside of Remo)

I recently swapped lines from EC2 Coated, to G2. The difference is PERFECTION.

Seriously...my drums NEVER sounded so good - EVER.

• Members

You may as well ask, Coke or Pepsi? Everyone has their own comfort zone and reasons for choosing one over the other...in the end, it's what YOU decide that's important. But I guess it's good to hear different opinions. Spoken by a true

Remo user.

Guest Anonymous

would you take coated evans over coated remos

If you're asking me... yes, I would. I use an ambassador now and then on a snare along with a diplomat snare side. But that's about it. I think the Evans coating is more durable. I actually like the Aquarian coating the best, but it never seems to stay on the head. So I gave up using it. Evans is the only one I've never had that problem with.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses!! I'm almost positive I'm going with the new Super-2's over Classic clear's.

If you are getting coated heads, I'd get Evans.

Although Evan's coating holds a little longer than Remo's, Aquarian's coating is the best in the biz. It has a very bumpy texture (almost identical to Remo's for all you brush players) but lasts SO long.

• Members

I've had both combos on my kit.

The Evans seemed to have a brighter attack, the Aquarians were warmer and thuddier - not bad, just different - and personally, I dug the Aquarians more than the Evans. I've got Aquarian Double Thins on them now, and these are my faves right now...too bad they've been discontinued, and those Super2's don't seem like a straight up replacement so I'm looking elsewhere.

• Members

If you're asking me... yes, I would. I use an ambassador now and then on a snare along with a diplomat snare side. But that's about it. I think the Evans coating is more durable. I actually like the Aquarian coating the best, but it never seems to stay on the head. So I gave up using it. Evans is the only one I've never had that problem with.

+1, Evans heads are long worn out when the coating starts to wear off in any measurable amount.

• Members

I've been very happy with Evans heads since around 1990, when I discovered them. (The stores where I lived didn't carry much outside of Remo)

I recently swapped lines from EC2 Coated, to G2. The difference is PERFECTION.

Seriously...my drums NEVER sounded so good - EVER.

May I know ... what is your drum? Why you swapped? is the G2 better because brighter sound? Do you use the G1 for a resonant?

• Members

May I know ... what is your drum? Why you swapped? is the G2 better because brighter sound? Do you use the G1 for a resonant?

Mapex M-Birch. I swapped to get more projection. At 10ft the kit was a dud, swapped to G2's and it projects more and sounds phenominal.

I'm using G1's on the resonant side. Was using the 10 mil Resonant heads.

I just adopted the mindset that you can deaden a live sounding drum, but not living a dead sounding drum ;)

• Members

Mapex M-Birch. I swapped to get more projection. At 10ft the kit was a dud, swapped to G2's and it projects more and sounds phenominal.

I'm using G1's on the resonant side. Was using the 10 mil Resonant heads.

I just adopted the mindset that you can deaden a live sounding drum, but not living a dead sounding drum
;)

lately I want to swap to EC2 Coated, since I use G2 & G1 for about 3 years.

But couldn't imagine the sound will be.

How about EC2 clear? Have you ever tried this?

• Members

I have used Evans G2 clear for my batter head and the resonant head that came with my drums for my toms Evans G2 coated on my snare. I have only used an Aquarian head on my bass drum once and didn't like it. Patience while tuning seems to be the key to me. I will say Evans heads seem to hold their tuning very well. My advice would be get the brand of heads that are readily available to you and in your price range because what good is an expensive head if you can't tune it correctly.

• Members

lately I want to swap to EC2 Coated, since I use G2 & G1 for about 3 years.

But couldn't imagine the sound will be.

How about EC2 clear? Have you ever tried this?

No, I've not. I've only had the EC2 Coated on them, and the G2's, and decided that while they sounded excellent behind the kit, they weren't projecting. My girlfriend (non-musician) noticed immediately of the change.

Also, I might not have mentioned, but I also am using moongel...

• Members

No, I've not. I've only had the EC2 Coated on them, and the G2's, and decided that while they sounded excellent behind the kit, they weren't projecting. My girlfriend (non-musician) noticed immediately of the change.

Also, I might not have mentioned, but I also am using moongel...

The moongel is dampening the ringing and much more focus when attacking ... right ... the things like gel?

I'm just moved, and now my drum's room is only 2,5m x 3,5m.. :cry:

I wonder why you still need mongel, how big is your drum's room?

And 1 thing ... how deep is you toms? As I know Tama has 4 sizes (traditional regular, accel, deep, x-tras deep) ... and mine is the accel type.

• Members

The moongel is dampening the ringing and much more focus when attacking ... right ... the things like gel?

I'm just moved, and now my drum's room is only 2,5m x 3,5m..
:cry:
I wonder why you still need mongel, how big is your drum's room?

And 1 thing ... how deep is you toms? As I know Tama has 4 sizes (traditional regular, accel, deep, x-tras deep) ... and mine is the accel type.

My toms are (inches, diameterxdepth):

8x8

10x8

12x9

14x11

16x13

The gel controls the overtones mostly, adds a bit of depth to the tone as well. I'd remove them if I needed more projection or with live use. I don't need them per-say, just I prefer the sound of drums that have the overtones controlled.

The EC2's were great, don't get me wrong - just with G2's and moongel, you can control how much of the overtones get controlled. Need more cut, take them off...need more, move them more towards the center or make them smaller.

• Members

My toms are (inches, diameterxdepth):

8x8

10x8

12x9

14x11

16x13

The gel controls the overtones mostly, adds a bit of depth to the tone as well. I'd remove them if I needed more projection or with live use. I don't need them per-say, just I prefer the sound of drums that have the overtones controlled.

The EC2's were great, don't get me wrong - just with G2's and moongel, you can control how much of the overtones get controlled. Need more cut, take them off...need more, move them more towards the center or make them smaller.

Thanks Jenksdrummer, thats new for me and really helpfull :)

Archived