Neil Peart question

BonzoMcbrain

• Members

Yep... I never got why liking James Brown meant one had to dislike Rush! "Got into James Brown so I sold my Rush records..." :rolleyes:. Especially when one considers the lyrical content:

Get on up

Stay on the scene

like a Sex Machine

Can we hit it and quit

vs

A magnet of playthings

we dance on the strings

of powers we cannot perceive

I will choose Free Will

If one seems pompous, the other certainly has to be seen as silly.

Wow , Peart brings out the emotions huh. I've never liked Rush , but I've always respected them , any drummer could better themselves by learning some of their songs , as could we all by learning some James Brown (who I do love) Pushing ourselves into different genres will always make us better at all genres if not just for the better understanding of what they have in common and in contrast , but for the ability to play outside our comfort zones.

• Members

Yep... I never got why liking James Brown meant one had to dislike Rush! "Got into James Brown so I sold my Rush records..."
:rolleyes:
. Especially when one considers the lyrical content:

Get on up

Stay on the scene

like a Sex Machine

Can we hit it and quit

vs

A magnet of playthings

we dance on the strings

of powers we cannot perceive

I will choose Free Will

If one seems pompous, the other certainly has to be seen as
silly

You know, you're right. I've come to this new appreciation for Neil Peart.(I guess we all have to grow up someday.) My own style of playing is groove based and I typically never listen to the lyrics, however after reading "Ghost Rider" and watching the Rush in Rio DVD and now I'm reading "Roadshow". Neil is a very talented and hard working guy. My odd time playing is weak and now I'm inspired to put some woodshed time in and make it my own. I also used to consider his playing cold and sterile, but I don't think that's the case at all. He is an incredible talent and if you read "Roadshow", you find that his talent didn't happen without a lot of effort. My hats off to him.

• Members

I think neal pert fills are influenced and

made his own by alot of which buddy

rich used to do and copying another

drummer can only make you a better

player no matter what style it is. I

find watching other drummers helps me

learn something every time I watch. your

definately going down the right path no

matter what anyone else says. the best

thing about being a drummer is you can

never learn enough and no one is ever

better than you just different.

Theres always someone elses style

that can challenge you and make you better :D

sorry I dissed peart by misspelling his name

• Members

Yep... I never got why liking James Brown meant one had to dislike Rush! "Got into James Brown so I sold my Rush records..."
:rolleyes:

don't you roll yer ize at me!

JB and others changed my perception of music. I usedta like lots and lots of notes. Now I find note surfeits tiresome, in general.

I'll quote Peart himself: "Less is more expensive."

go enjoy your Rush records, they're a great value! I'll be listening to cool music with all my HOT CHICK FRIENDS! MONN TANNO HORNY!!!!

• Members

Bravo Hof. Looks like you got it covered. Here's my nickel's worth anyway.

There's really nothing to argue over Rush liking. You like it you like it.

I went out and got some Rush - Moving Pictures, 2112, and the new one, Snakes and Arrows.

My basic first impressions are they don't swing, they don't rock. They obviously put in the sweat but they do come off as pretentious. And LOL they remind me ever so slightly of Spinal Tap.

That ventured, I think part of their attraction to musicians is they offer a ton of accessible but instrumentally challenging material. No argument against that.

Please spare me the "why you're a clueless dork and why this is wrong" part. Fighting's such a waste of typing. If you feel you need to respond, I would be curious as to your fascination with Rush - or any similar material for that matter.

Don't forget to explain those fills to the guy first though. :)

• Members

go enjoy your Rush records, they're a great value! I'll be listening to cool music with all my HOT CHICK FRIENDS! MONN TANNO HORNY!!!!

Hey Hoff, quick question!

When I got into drums, I was all about funk and groove. Now, as I get older, I'm getting more into prog. So I basically did this backwards.

Does this make me bisexual, and if it does, what can I do to make my snare drum wetter sounding?

PS: Do you have Monn Tando Mondo's phone number? I'd like to hit that.

:D :D :D

• Members

When I got into drums, I was all about funk and groove. Now, as I get older, I'm getting more into prog. So I basically did this backwards.

Does this make me bisexual, and if it does, what can I do to make my snare drum wetter sounding?

:D

phone#,pancakes,syrup,zircon encrusted tweasers.......,it's a kit!!

• Members

uhhhhhhhhhhhh...........simple question here. Although everyone has their favorite music, why dont people just listen to both? Thats what i do. I listen to both james brown and rush. I can play both styles. Isnt that much better than playing just one style? :confused: I can also admit that rush is my favorite band. However, i do not listen to them just because of peart, i listen to them because everything about that band just sounds right to me. Yes they play a lot of notes, but i still love what they play. So all of you prog rock fans, dont be afraid to listen to the music you love, its YOUR music, not someone else's.

• Members

tweezers... here, let me sterilize 'em; gimme yer lighter.

p.s. it's shiny shirts that make you bi, get rid of em if you got any.

Monn lives in Taiwan. He's too busy making TVs to go out with you, trust me, I KNOW. :cry:

• Members

The whole "Rush plays too many notes" argument is so lame. I admire Stubblefield and the others just as much as the next guy. But their music sounds simplistic and silly TO ME. I dont question Hoffs enjoyment of that music, as boring, predictable and simplistic as I may find it. I only question his taste.;):p I kid, of course. Its just this is as silly as the big kit small kit debate.

That said, knowing Thoffman the way I do, I know that he secretly hoards his Rush Dream Theater and Symphony X albums (yes, albums!) and brings them out on lonely Friday nights. Cant fool me Hoff. I know your type:evil::p

• Members

I'm hoping you are joking... but I was talking with a 20yr old drummer other day and I mention Jon Bonham...and he was like "who?"... My draw dropped. Be like asking who steve Harris is or Joe Satriani are.

who's steve harris?:confused:

• Members

The whole "Rush plays too many notes" argument is so lame. I admire Stubblefield and the others just as much as the next guy. But their music sounds simplistic and silly TO ME. I dont question Hoffs enjoyment of that music, as boring, predictable and simplistic as I may find it. I only question his taste.
;):p
I kid, of course. Its just this is as silly as the big kit small kit debate.

That said, knowing Thoffman the way I do, I know that he secretly hoards his Rush Dream Theater and Symphony X albums (yes, albums!) and brings them out on lonely Friday nights. Cant fool me Hoff. I know your type:evil:
:p

(pushes box w/ hoarded wig, spandex and sequined shirt a little farther under the bed)

nuh UHH! you, you... STRIESAND LOVER!!!!!!

• Members

(pushes box w/ hoarded wig, spandex and sequined shirt a little farther under the bed)

nuh UHH! you, you... STRIESAND LOVER!!!!!!

Dude, I hate Striesand, she...she...:freak::freak:

Dammit. I give up.

I celebrate her entire catalog:love:

Archived