Very small practice space -- which cymbals?

soul-x

• Members

The cymbals aren't the problem.

Earplugs and/or smaller sticks.

He uses 7A's. He's not a really basher, but neither does he have a whole lot of finesse.

Earplugs are currently in effect. The consensus is that it still would be nice to cleanup the acoustic slop a bit.

• Members

My first suggestion would be to get some acoustic tiles or egg crate or something of the sort. That should suck up some high end and make it cut a little less on the ol' ear drums.

As far as replacing cymbals, if you have money to do it, I'd suggest the Zildjian A Custom Fast Crash. The speed of the decay on them is amazing. I suspect that would cut down on some of the harmonics in the room and may hurt your ears a little less. They ain't cheap though...

• Members

My first suggestion would be to get some acoustic tiles or egg crate or something of the sort. That should suck up some high end and make it cut a little less on the ol' ear drums.

The room definitely needs treatment. But it's so small there's only so much that can be done. The ceiling is a bare sheetrock surface, right above head level. If I straighten my natural slouch to stand in a way that would make Mom proud, I hit my head.

There's not even room for tile up there.

As far as replacing cymbals, if you have money to do it, I'd suggest the Zildjian A Custom Fast Crash.

Thanks. I'll definitely check one out. Any lower budget suggestions? This is mostly just for this space. I'll be keeping my current pies for when I'm not stuck in a hobbit dwelling.

• Members

Id consider using rods instead of sticks either that or start foaming/egg crates

this is probably the best idea i could sugest, rods wont solve the entire problem but i think a combination of rods and earplugs would help alot

or what i used to do untill i insulated my drumroom was, i put moongel pads on my cymbals, there ment for the toms essentially but on the cymbals they absorb some of the ring and its not so hard on the ears, but you do loose a little quality too

other than that, i would find another place to practice

• Members

It appears from the responses that I will look at the A Custom Fast Crash. I'm also gonna experiment with dampening the cymbals. But that tends to make these particular ones really clangy.

I've got some rods, but the drummer didn't really seem too interested in that route

We really need a new spot. This room is probably 8 or 9 foot square with 6' ceilings. When I think about that in terms of cubic volume, it's roughly the same size as my standard little slide-door bedroom closet with full height ceilings. I definitely wouldn't put a rock band in my closet.

My ears are probably never more than 24" from a crash and a couple inches from the highly reflective ceiling.

Archived