what are some good foot exercies?

godofmetalguita

• Members

How about a combination effort...I used a book called "bass drum control" by Colin Bailey. It's great to build your hands. And it's also great to work on you feet. But don't forget to build both together...otherwise your feel will not be connected. You'll bee able to play really good hand tricks and really good feet tricks, but never the two shall me. Segregate some of your time and work on both as a complete entity. Bass Drum Control was great for that!!!:thu:

• Members

Work on hands for up to a year or two.

Learn proper technique and develop a great feel.

Then introduce a double bass pedal.

The other side of the coin says that if you start with both feet at the same time, then they'll never be behind. Like learning to drive a car or fly a plane; you wouldn't use only the gear shift the first year, then introduce the clutch, or fly without rudder pedals until you learned how to control the yoke. Pianists start with both hands, all 10 fingers. Guitarists start with both hands. You get my drift. :cool:

• Members

For db, these 2 simple exercises might help.

1) doubles (at a slow to moderate tempo) ... RL RL RL RL RL ///

3) triplets (at a slow to moderate tempo) ... RLR LRL RLR LRL ///

Do it to a click track. Lock the lead foot on the click and then add the other foot. Make sure you keep the tempo. Practice each for about 5 minutes. If you're new to playing db (I just started again today) ... it's a lot harder than it seems :lol:

I did play db about 5 years ago, but then I stopped playing the drums altogether. I just got back into playing again last month. 5 years off, and it's like starting all over again ...

BTW, it seems you're a guitarist too? That's what I started off doing 30 years ago. Seems there are a few of us guitarists on this board that have converted to drums :)

• Members

I once complained to a pro who had settled in my area that my feet sukkt. He said, "Use 'em." and went on about his stage futzing.

Ok well, free lesson... anyway beyond that, the big deal with foot work is the GDm pedal. You just have to work with your pedals as the unique instruments they are. No way around it.

• Members

I do also play guitar. I've been playing guitar for quite some time now. By trade i'm not a drummer, but i've been considering it lately because quite honestly i'm better than most drummers in my area. I've been in bands/projects before and have also done some studio drums.

I can do a little heel toe, but not much (mostly on the right foot). doubles are easy for me heel toe on the right foot, more than that can get difficult. I typically play heel up.

I dont do much double bass, it's just not in my style (believe it or not with a moniker like mine). I prefer a tight drum style without a ton of frills. I try to keep double bass to a minimum. I can do straight double bass without much trouble, but what fun is that? I just want to have the control with my feet that i have with my hands.

Practicing to a click is a must for everything, 100%.

• Members

by the way i'm a somewhat advanced player, i've been playing for 5 years, i've been in a rap band, a metal band, but i have never been happy with my feet skills.

Sorry man! Didn't realise that. Got the impression you were just a guitarist looking to have fun with the drums. My bad.

• Members

What book is that from?

It isn't - I think my drum teacher wrote it. When I had problems with something in particular he would either scribble out a dozen exercises to help fix my deficiency or appear with some printed ones the following week. I think these were to sort out some problems I was having doing quick kick beats in time with 1/16ths on the snare (mostly the lower half of the page). They certainly did the trick.

Keith.

Archived