OT: Cold in N. Florida

twosticks

• Members

Okay I knew it was supposed to get cool these next couple days here in north florida but it is Cold here this morning!

I heard them say upper 30's for lows but is 34 degrees this morning! I kinda like it though, helps it feel more like the holiday season and kills off the bugs. Is supposed to warm back up to average temps. by the end of the week (Lows in the 40's and highs in the 60's)

Me and the wife did our grocey shopping tonight and wife got most of the Turkey shopping done. T-day is two weeks away! Seems this year has just flown by to me! What are you guys plans for Thankgiving this year? For those outside the USA, Thanksgiving is the holiday where we have a big feast to celebrate the feast the pilgrims (or first settlers) had here with the native indians. Also to be thankful or give thanks for all that we have. Turkey is the traditional meat of choice, along with hams or other meats.

One year it was just me and my sister and her husband so we just had homemade burritos and played cards and listened to the stereo with the TV football games on with the sound off. Good times.

Of course the day after thanksgiving is supposed to be the biggest shoping day for Christmas of the year. My wife has already gotten like three Fingerhut mags!

So I guess if there was a point to this thread it would be what is the weather like where you are? what are your holiday plans or traditions? What meals are you preparing? and any memorable Thanksgivings in your past?

Share if you would like, Happy Holidays to all!

• Members

I'm here in Jax. It's already warmed up quite a bit, but we had our heater on last night! I think it's going to end up a pretty nice day.

Of course, I managed to get some sort of chest thing on Tuesday, so I really shouldn't go out an enjoy it. When I breath out all the way, it sounds like souls trapped in a 4th dimension are screaming to get out of and they are all living in my chest!

Enjoy the cool weather!

• Members

Hey cmon up the east coast guys...we hit the low 30's last night. So what else is new...it's November! We all just got spoiled by all the hot weather lately.

Well since my son and I are still on the outs, Thanksgiving is looking a little bleak...no family dinners here as far as I know. I may go back to Baltimore on Thanksgiving morning. My old high school (Loyola) has an 89 year football rivalry called the Turkey Bowl that they play at Camden Yards every Thanksgiving at 10am. I may just make it back up there this year. Other than that, my day's wide open...

• Members

Hi Carmine... yeah, but we are in Florida. We are typically spoiled all year round (except for August and September, which is when we'd like to drown in a tub of ice).

This is even more OT, but what's up with you and your Son? I don't mean to pry, but that sucks. My Son's only 10, so we haven't gotten to the big issues stages, yet. I can't imagine being on the outs with him. That would be devastating to me. I'm really sorry to hear that you are having troubles.

-Tom

• Members

I'm almost embarrassed to say that it was about 65 this am here in Central CA. We've been having Santa Ana winds (warm from the East) recently which contributed to the spreading of the fires out here. We're about 4500 ft up in the mtns and it should be colder this time of year. Oh well, no complaints.

• Members

Hi Carmine... This is even more OT, but what's up with you and your Son? I don't mean to pry, but that sucks.-Tom

Thanks for asking...son is and has been a piece of doo doo. I haven't talked to him since before Father's day. Fathers day rolled around, and I did not hear from him or the girls. My wife (his mom) got bent and called him out on it...no phone call, no card, no email...nothin...none before, during or after Father's day. My wife contacts him and tells him I'm feeling kinda left out...didn't even hear from the girls. He tells his mom to "go f..k yourself and f..k him" (speaking of me). And we had not even been having words...this was out of the blue. I don't know what's going on but he wigged out...and frankly I don't need more headaches. And the only ones suffering are my wife and I and the granddaughters, whom we don't see now at all. It's a pretty messed up deal, but that's the whole story as I know it. So turkey this year will be coming from our favorite restaurant, cause my wife doesn't feel much like cooking. Don't mean to go on...I'm not unhappy...just not very thrilled this year. That's why I might go back and watch the game back home...

Hey Bill (wmcutter) haven't heard from you in a while! How's it going...besides warm and cozy... And all you guys/girls on the other side of the world (England, Australia etc) Have you all been having weird weather as well? It's all over the place here...hot one day and cold the next...very unpredicatbale and unseasonable...

• Members

...I'm not unhappy...just not very thrilled this year. That's why I might go back and watch the game back home...

I can understand that. Hope you make the most of it. First we were going to go over my sister's that lives here in the same town. But her, her husband and kids are going to be in Orlando for T-day.

So we decided to have it here and invite my mom and brother that live in Florida now as well. Well mom has been e-mailing and talking on the computer to a someone she first knew in Okla. when I was born. They've already met each other in Orlando and Mrytle Beach SC this year. He lives in Tenn. so they're meeting halfway in Macon Georgia for T-day.

My brother rents a place from a coworker couple he knows and this year has been talking and doing stuff with their 20 something daughter who has a young child. I THINK he thinks it's a relationship and to her it's a fun friend. He has shown us a few pics of them doing stuff, but I think he's afraid to bring her over for T-day and so I doubt he'll come over. He's turned into a real hermit from us.

So it looks like it will be my sister in law, maybe her grown daughter with her husband and young kids, a girl who is the ex of the guy that used to work on our cars (She should get the house and land cause he fooled around and left but her family is in Texas, so we are like her family here in Fla)

Used to be my dad and bro used to get into the college football games after dinner at home. Or if it was at my grandmas or aunt's, it was my mom and dad playing cards and BSing with his brother, sisters and cousins.

I was never allowed a BB gun when I was younger so it was on T-day going outside with my cousin that I got to take turns shooting up butter dishes with his BB gun.

I was raised in the suburbs and my cousins were raised in country in Okla. My chores were taking out the trash, mowing the lawn and cleaning my room. My cousin's chores were feeding the goat and pig my cousin was raising for the 4H to sell at the fair and taking the trash out to the burn barrel.

Anyway, It has been a blah year for me too. Until I though of all I should be Thankful for, My Wife, Job, Being able to still play drums, having a house, a computer and all you guys etc etc. My life could be a lot worse even though it has been sometimes rough. Is one old house on my way home that already has Christmas lights up and reminds me of seasons before and makes me want to have that spirit again and hope everybody else's holidays are good this year!:love:

• Members

You hit on something Twosticks rhat just drives me crazy. Tell the marketing people to get off. First comes Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas. I was hearing ads for Chrictams at the beginning of September. Give it a rest you capitalist dogs and let us enjoy one hiloday at a time. And no Christams until after Thanksgiving please. We all have a lot to be thankful for, so let us get a chance to have one before you barrage us with the yuletide merriment...

Archived