Adding floor tom legs?

drmrdude

• Members

I just did this to a 14x11 tom. I used something similar to the Gauger one.

I got it from drummaker.com it costs almost half of the gauger one and works really well. Just look under hardware>>mounting>>>>tom iso-mounts.

• Members

I've been wondering about this too. I have a "hanging" 14" "floor tom". I can't position the cymbal (on the same stand) and the drum in a good place. That, plus the round ball (Yamaha) joint is starting to slip.

I was thinking of having legs professionally added. I've seen the Gauger one, but it seems kindof steep. I'm going to have my drum tech look at mine and give me an estimate. It's probably gonna be at least $100 though. I might go with the other. Thanks for the info.

I question the stability though of having it only attached at the bottom to the lugs.

• Members

I got a rims mount for my 16 tom off ebay. it worked ok and saved me carrying around an huge heavy tripod for a year.

the 16 is back on the tripod and the RIMS will eventually end up on ebay again.

for the record, I'm glad I didn't drill it.

on the other hand, I put brackets on a 22" bass drum in order to set it up as a FT. the difference? it was a piece of {censored} in the first place.

• Members

For the green glitter kit I built a 14x14 to Rogers XP8 specs. Started with a RIMS cradle..... it came off rather quickly and the drum now sports Rogers Fullerton era swivomatic floor tom mounts correctly oriented for a Big R drum. Its a very happy drum.

The ayotte custom 16 came with a gawdawful RIMS hanger, that came off and I got a cradle...... I hated it. I couldnt find three Ayotte mounts anywhere, but the hole spacing is the same as DW. After carefully examining dozens of pics of Ayottes with factory installed FT shell mounts, I got out the pilot points and templated the drum correctly orienting the locations with the badge, and drilled it. Theres really no difference in the sound of the drum, or its value. The 12mm DW FT Legs werent easy to locate, but I got them too.

Drill it. Just do it right or we'll tell.

• Members

You can use 2 iSS mounts positioned close to 180 degrees apart. It will take all of two minutes beyond that to figure out how to DIY them to the floor.

You could also use 3 on the bottom hoop and just mount the leg brackets on 'em. This will probably kill a lot of sustain though. Not sure. You're still at around a 100 bucks though. :D

Archived