What are some things you would have done differently when you started learning drums?

planet shh

• Members

I've been playing guitar for ten years or so, and now, looking back there are a few things i wish i would have done differently that i find myself now having to correct. little things, like keeping my fingers closer to the fretboard, and stuff. in short, i know if you arent careful, its easy to develop bad habits when learning to play music.

lately ive been starting to take drums a lot more seriously, and i was just wondering if you guys have any tips for me and things to watch for. also what are some good sites to go to for excersizes and stuffffffff. :confused:

• Members

Start working on independence and double bass exercises from day one. I wish I had. Now that I am trying to get into prog and metal, Im having to work out some of the muscle memory that developed from years of playing without taking 4 way independence and lead left foot work into mind.

• Members

Time...the number one aspect you can't fake. I'd have used a metronome a lot earlier instead of just building technique. With out good time, we follow instead of drive. Feel comes out of playing with good time. Push it forward, lay it back..without good initial time...it's all talk and no action.

It took me years of building time that could have been accomplished at a much earlier age...

• Members

Metronome good.......... Seriously. Those things are miracle workers.

And I'm gonna have to disagree with Merlin up there. Don't work double bass technique until you have mastered (or at least gotten really good at) single pedal. I know what you are talking about, but ultimately, single pedal is more important than double pedal and double pedal is a lot easier to pick up after learning single pedal than single pedal is after learning double pedal.

Some may agree, I'm sure, but this is just what I would say if i were giving lessons. And always remember, there is no one correct way to drum. There are many different approaches, and none are more correct than another (within reason, of course). keep an open mind and just practice. ;)

• Members

I was lucky, I never really worked with a metronome early on, but instead played along to CDs on a megastereo system, so I learned to play songs in recorded steady tempos, like a metronome without ever feeling bored. I would reccomend both.

+1 on the feet things too, even if you arent into speedmetal, having nimble and independent feet is a skill in any genre.

• Members

In response to Merlin, especially if you want to go the other direction into jazz. The best jazz drummers have incredibly nimble feet. If Buddy Rich and Jojo Mayer had double bass pedals, every death metal and speed metal drummer I've ever heard (admittedly not very many, though) would be put to shame.

• Members

Is it just me, or are brushes a completely lost art. Seems that even the softest of jazz guys in the new generation are just using rods or the like. I cant remember the last time I saw real wire brushes being used.

That being said, I hate brushes; it is a real skill that is a pain in the ass to remember after almost 10 years away. Ive almost destroyed mine due to lost technique.

• Members

Is it just me, or are brushes a completely lost art. Seems that even the softest of jazz guys in the new generation are just using rods or the like. I cant remember the last time I saw real wire brushes being used.

That being said, I hate brushes; it is a real skill that is a pain in the ass to remember after almost 10 years away. Ive almost destroyed mine due to lost technique.

It is a lost art...you're not gonna swish a coated head with rods. Check out this brush workout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STtF1s1rkzQ

• Members

Last evening I got together with some friends, I took a 6.5 Maple Dynasonic and brushes. We played 3 hours solid. Blues, light rock, folk. Neil Young, Eagles, maybe just a tad of bluegrass as well. Guitar, mandolin, and brushes. It was fantastic.

That duet was ...wow.

• Members

Time...the number one aspect you can't fake. I'd have used a metronome a lot earlier instead of just building technique. With out good time, we follow instead of drive. Feel comes out of playing with good time. Push it forward, lay it back..without good initial time...it's all talk and no action.

It took me years of building time that could have been accomplished at a much earlier age...

+1

• Members

I took plenty of lessons I just didn't practice efficiantly...too much jamming around and not enough focus. Luckily my teacher was awsome and I stuck with lessons for nearly 10 years. So now I have a huge book of hand written drum stuff to keep me challenged for a long time. And yes....more focus on time would have helped too!

• Members

I wish I would of studied hand technique more as well as focusing more on rudiments and building foundation. I think listening to jazz more would of been benificial for me.

I also happen to love brushes and try to use them often, although I'm nowhere near the level I'd like to be with them. I like rods too, the dynamics are really fantastic. Of course I prefer sticks for definition but I think it's important to have variety.

• Members

I just wish I would have taken more lessons than I did. I was an arrogant little prick and thought only a couple months lessons would give me all I needed to know. Ugh...

LESSONS!!!! stick grip techniques. Taking the "art" of drum set playing more

serious at a younger age! RUDIMENTS!!!

• Members

I would have gotten a metronome and learned to use it from day one.

I'd use it over playing along to CDs etc. too. The metronome makes you concentrate on the tempo ONLY. That's all there is. It's too easy to get a little off with music and then get back on without truly realizing you did IMHO.

Good luck

Archived