if you could have one splash/small effect cymbal...

logansc

• Members

I have a used Sabian 12" AA rock crash that cuts through great for metal. But I don't hardly play metal but this cymbal works great then too. They don't make it anymore. The closest thing too it is ..... A Sabain AA 12" Metal Splash ( look at Sabian.com)

Like the description says it should be good for a good all around "punch" cymbal that you can wail on and ease up on and have a good all around cymbal. IMO, this is where I'd start, what you buy is up to you. If it's like my ROck splash, you can use it anywhere and not have to be TOO gentle with it.

Hope this helps!

• Members

6" or 9.5" ZilBel!

I though I said I had one. I have the 6" I think. Or one that is really small at least. I like it, its fun to have a crashing beat and then go ding ding ding, real fast. Or I use it with the bell on my ride to make cool little beats and sounds.

So far It's looking like AA and AAX stuff is good as usual, and Wuhan is definitely worth looking into, and paiste stuff is too. Wuhan seems cool though because the idea of spending $20 versus $70+ seems very interesting. I could get two cymbals if I got one of those. I already have a double attachment, since it was cheaper than the single one, but I don't really care for the way it attaches to the big stand at all. You just screw it on top of where the wing nut would go.

• Members

I've got a lot of cymbals I juggle around on kits, but one that always strikes me as being a very versitile and useful splash sound is the Mike Portnoy Splashes from Sabian.

MnL

I love them to, here is Portnoy showing off his cymbals. His splashes might be the sound you are looking for.

• Members

I don't remember the model, but that Sabian 10" splash with all the round holes cut in it...I messed around with it at last NAMM show and almost converted to Sabian from my beloved Zildjians!

I love all those with the holes, they are dark but have a cleaner sound than china's. I want one more than a good china. It's like the perfect blend of a splash, crash, and china. The next cymbal I'll buy is probably a flat ride though.

Archived