Traditional Grip Setup Help

qwertyMan

• Members

So, lately, I've been trying to learn traditional grip, and I have been moving around my setup to accommodate that. The problem is, when I go to hit my rack tom, the back end of my stick sometimes will hit the hats, and mess me up. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about, and have any suggestions?

• Members

I can't say I've had that problem with traditional grip before, but I think I know what you mean. Try just moving the hi-hats a little bit to the left (you're right handed, right?) and maybe, if you can, move the rack tom a bit to the right. You might want to adjust the height of your hi-hats, too. If they are too high, I guess I can imagine them getting in the way. If you show us a picture of your stick hitting both the tom and the hats at the same time, then we can see what's going on.

• Members

check out dave weckl's set up: his first rack tom is a bit angled, slanting down towards the next mid tom. I think if you get someone to help you out this method works great:

see at which angle your stick is going into each drum and have your friend position the tom, snare etc to where the angle of the stick is at. do this to every tom and your snare, idk worked out great for me!

• Members

Lower the hihat, and angle the snare away from your left hand.

That's how I have it right now. The only problem is that if the hats are too low, there isn't much room for me to move my left hand (and stick) up and down when I'm playing with my right hand on the hi-hats and my left hand on the snare.

• Members

qwertyMan- thought you might like to see the positioning of one of the best traditional players on the market. I did some captures and composited images from the great JoJo Mayer and Nerve. He doesn't seem to have any problems playing traditional grip. Maybe you can gleen some different concepts...

JoeJoePositions.jpg

Archived