Hey! and a question about heads

ddeerreekk

• Members

Hey, just wanted to say hello to everybody and introduce myself. My name's Derek, and I've been on the forums off and on for a while but haven't said much. It's a great forum with many knowledgeable people, from what I've seen and I'm looking forward to being a part of the community.

I've been playing the drums for about 5 years, and play in a band who mostly does a sort of rock/pop/funk/indie/whatever originals.

Also I have a question about drum heads.

Yes i know, another question about drum heads. I know it's been asked probably a thousand times, but the search didn't have quite what I'm looking for.

My question is this: if you have limited cash to spend on heads, is it better to replace the top heads or resonant heads? It's a fairly new kit and has all the stock heads on it still (some yamaha/remo something or other).

I'll be replacing all the heads eventually, just would rather do it piece by piece.

-Derek

• Members

heads tend to be relatively inexpensive anyway especially if you can get them in a set. ive had my kit for 3 years now and i still have the stock on. i havent really had a problem with them so i see no reason to change them. i probably should get new ones but i dont know what to look for. any suggestions since we're on the topic? haha

• Members

I tend to change batter heads about every six to seven months....I like new heads...when the tone starts to go I change them. I usually change the Bass drum Batter head twice a year,I use EMAD's. Now,having said this,My Pacific LX Kit has DW heads and I have a year on them and there is still plenty of tone and I play a-lot of outside gigs....this,playing outside will kill heads real quick but these DW heads are holding up well. I have a Pacific X7 Kit that has studio X heads and I'm in the process of finding the shelf life of these heads.my DW Kit has DW heads and I'm still on the orig.heads...I only use this Kit on up-scale gigs so they don't get as much playing time,my baby, soooo they get treated with great care so this means not as much playing time...go figure??? Sometimes I just sit and look at them:freak:

Archived